COPYING ONES OWN DVDS'S

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Re: COPYING ONES OWN DVDS'S

Post by ned c »

Thanks Tom, I use only single layer DVD-R discs. Have never tried double layer but will give it a try with a longer HD program.

ned c
Michael Slowe

Re: COPYING ONES OWN DVDS'S

Post by Michael Slowe »

Slightly off thread I'm afraid but here goes.

Yes, I also believe BIAFF will acept Blu-Ray this year but initially only SD for judging. If the film does well then they will show Blu-Ray publicly. On this subject I have just returned from testing SD versas Blu-Ray in my local cinema in Hampstead where a number of my films have been shown. I had both types of DVD of the same film and we ran them in the Samsung Blu-Ray player on to a big screen. As you may know most players up scale the SD. Well, there was a discernable difference but not dramatic by any means. The blacks looked better on the Blu-Ray with slight improvements in saturation but not really worth getting excited about. Maybe on a good plasma TV screen the difference might be greater. The cinema has a very expensive new digital projector and both sets of pictures looked good - shot on the EX1 at 1920 X 1080 interlaced 25 fps.

My conclusion is that there might not be the need for any great rush to Blu-Ray provided SD DVD's can be played through an upscaling Blu-Ray player.