tv defaulting to 4x3

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
lindencot

tv defaulting to 4x3

Post by lindencot »

thanks everybody very much for the help with 4x3 screen ratio problem. Daves suggestion solved the problem. I have for 6 years had the screen ratio in Pinnacle set to 4x3. As suggested by Dave I went into "project preferences" changed to PAL widescreen, I then had to widen my clip art and still images on title pages to fill the clips on timeline. making movie to disc image and burning using Nero prove to be the answer. If I see you in the pub I'll buy you a pint.
still cann :lol: ot understand why the Proline dvd player told the Vistron tv to play disc in widescreen and the Sony,s did not.
tom hardwick

Re: tv defaulting to 4x3

Post by tom hardwick »

All DVD players come with a set-up menu. It's here where you tell the player the aspect ratio of your TV, so that if you play a 4:3 DVD it will be shown as 4:3 even if the TV is set to its 16:9 mode.

The problem arises when TVs are set to their 'smart' mode, because in this 'I know best' mode it invariably tries to fill the screen real-estate by stretching and distorting 4:3 DVDs and transmissions.

While I'm here it's worth saying that most all flat-screen TVs have a menu option called something like 'all scan'. It's worth selecting this in the menu as it removes the ludicrous amount of overscanning that was introduced in the 1940s for CRTs with feeble power supplies.

tom.