Sound Cards

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Stephen

Sound Cards

Post by Stephen »

Any of the learned peeps here got a sound setup that they are pleased with and would like to share how they get good soundtracks onto their PC?

especially what sound card, software used to capture from a variety of input soures... eg mic, mini disc player etc

connections?...is the 3.5 jack connection up to it?

There seems quite a few of external USB/Firewire/Optical input, output stand alone boxes such as http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam ... D~6342.asp

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam ... D~5281.asp

are these overkill?...

inquisitive minds must know !!

:D
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Graeme Webb

Post by Graeme Webb »

Hi Stephen,

This probably doesn't fully answer your question but my sound set up is as follows.

Tascam recorder

http://secure1.securesite.co.uk/soun973 ... /hdp2.html

Which uses compact flash cards I use 1Gb cards in this recorder (they also double up for using in my old Nikon D100 that I now use for animation purposes). These plug into a card reader and I transfer the audio files directly to the Mac via a USB cable. To the recorder I connect 1 (or 2) Sennheiser shot guns via XLR cables (I have had 3.5 jacks fall out XLR never, also the XLR cables are pretty thick and can take a bit of punishment).
The Tascam is so easy to use in the field it is foolproof has big buttons and leds. I have used mini disk recorders and find them fiddly.

Myself and Bob Vine always use the Tascam in our shorts and synch in post. Onboard camera microphones are a bit of a waste of time IMHO.

If I am filming alone I use a feed straight into the camera, I use a Beachtek DXA-4P with 1 microphone as My Sony doesnt have XLR inputs. I am not a fan of wireless microphones and will always use hardwired in the first instance. I have managed to do both jobs (after practice) filming and boom pole

For Sound effects I use the tascam or generate 'noises' using the synths that are available in 'Logic'*.
I am fortunate in having musicians and producers for friends so I can always get music in the right format I need for the job which is aiff (audio interchange file format). or bang something out myself or find something on many of the online composer websites that abound on the Internet.

for mixing I use a pair of Fostex Powered Nearfield Monitors again USB and 'Soundtrack'* for final output.

I firmly believe that you get what you pay for and If I can't wait to save up for a bit of kit then I'll do without it rather than buy a cheaper product which always ends in dissapointment. Just don't tell the misses what my new Manfrotto tripod cost :roll:
see a picture here.

http://borderlineblog.typepad.com/photo ... 1662_4.jpg

* Apple Kit

Graeme
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Cheers Graeme!

that Tascam is a smart piece of kit ! ... like the idea of the SD card as like yourself my DSLR uses them also....

I agree that the Minidisc players are a tad fiddly and you must allow plenty of time to set them up... unfortunately time is not usually plenty on some shots !!!...DAMHIK...

The Beachtek is also a great piece of gear.... this will be a good Christmas present! (its only 141, Days. 12, Hours. 55, Minutes away!)

The biggest headache I have come across is all the wires and what goes where when collecting all the resources for a project !... mindiscs, mics, cds even TV broadcasts..... but after the purchase of a new piece of kit it may be a little easier now...

the Presonus Firebox has just landed on my desk ...oooeeeerrr
and whoaaaaa..... it fairly blasts in data to the PC with up to 6 inputs, 10 outputs and all mixed on 48 track recording software... + Cubase LE thrown in which seems to be holding its own ... another vertical learning curve coming up!!!!!!

not a 100% fix but things seem to be a lot more organised now and the quality of recorded sound is top notch..... the box will process 24-bit/96k

the biggest joy so far is monitoring the output with the headphones...there is a beautiful crisp clean detailed sound heard....

now where's that Chemical Bros CD !!!!!!

Stephen
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Graeme Webb

Post by Graeme Webb »

One of the guys we collaborate with on the music side uses the Presonus Firebox and some other bits of their gear and swears by it. He was using analogue recording equipment up to about a year ago and as he's a sort of one man Pink Floyd you can imagine trying to get his performance into a computer from a really big old valve system.

G
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have an Edirol UA5 USB sound capture unit, this has now been replaced by the UA25

http://www.roland.com/products/en/ua-25/

Works well, I have used it mainly for capturing sound from old analog sources. It is hooked in to my Intel Mac.

As a field recorder I use the Samsom H2, it is reported that it loses synch with video over a long (?40 minutes) session but I have never recorded a single take anywhere near that long.

The composer I work with uses Cakewalk Sonar on a PC. Sonar’s MIDI sequencer. A Roland UM-2 MIDI interface driven by a USB port from the computer which is connected to a Roland KR-7 keyboard that provides the generator for the sounds. Audio effects are recorded, modified and edited using Sonar’s digital audio recorder and effects editor.

ned c
Graeme Webb

Post by Graeme Webb »

Hi Stephen and Ned,

Pity we don't all live next door to each other we would have it all sewn up :lol:

G