Great but underrated! (GBU)

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Great but underrated! (GBU)

Post by ned c »

In another thread Mike Shaw gave us updates on the editing software Liquid a not widely known but powerful program.

My selection for "GBU" is Final Cut Express 4. Now, this is Mac specific but it does all the things we need at about 1/6 th cost of FCP. It edits HDV, will take mixed formats on the timeline, has excellent compositing tools and the interface looks just like FCP!

What doesn't it do? It does not batch capture, yes I staggered back at that one but then found that it will automatically break up into listed shots any imported video including HDV. It does not create EDLs (edit decision lists) but I imagine very few of us need these.

It is rock solid on my Intel Mac and fun and easy to use for the aspiring FCP editor it really is the "training wheels".

What is your favorite "GBU"; equipment as well as software please I hope to learn something.

ned c
Graeme Webb

Post by Graeme Webb »

Hi Ned,

Yes I agree with you on the FCP Express ideal for editing (quite literally in the field on a laptop) if the project doesn't require the FCP studio overhead.

My GBU kit is my Tascam recorder and Sennheiser shotgun mike

http://secure1.securesite.co.uk/soun973 ... /hdp2.html

foolproof (which is ideal for me).

If I am allowed another its my Maplins fog machine

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... e&doy=22m5

great for excentuating streams of light. and adding the smallest of fog enables you to soften harsh interiors and make them look more mysterious.

G
stingman

Post by stingman »

I hope that i`m not butting in and got the wrong angle on this thread :lol: :lol:

I use Premiere Pro 1.5 and love it. It doesn`t do HD but I have the next version ready and waiting for my next computer upgrade and this WILL do HD.

I NEVER use Batch Capture. I just play the whole tape into my computer and manually make cuts for all the different scenes etc.

I have been given a free programme called Magix Pro 14 Production suiet from the writters of this programme for me to evaluate. I borrowed my friends FX1 (HD Camera) and I had a problem so I tries this software and it started to capture in HD by accident! Hundreds of frames lost so I gave up! I knew it wouldn`t work, hence the new future computer.

The problem is that I just love premiere Pro so I won`t change.

I tried a Mac and didn`t like it! Sorry guys! Each to there own.

Be good......

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Ian, the idea is for people to tell us about relatively unknown equipment/software that they find useful and may help the rest of us.

ned c