Guerilla Festivals

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
ned c

Re: Guerilla Festivals

Post by ned c »

There seem to be two types of film makers, the lone worker usually making documentaries, Michael's films being a fine example of this approach and the team worker usually making narrative films and the needs of each are quite different. I know that Michael is a member of a club but he does not need a club (apologies here Michael for making an assumption), I work mainly on narrative films and need to be a part of a team so need some form of grouping. "Club" implies a hierarchy, organization, management, structure which is fine if it is aimed squarely at the club's raison d'etre which is to make films with social activity as a secondary objective. I like the analogy of a band; if you are a musician then you want to be part of a functioning band, great to have a beer and chat and listen to other bands but this is not what it is about, it's all about playing, developing skills by applying them, finding an audience. I am surprised that John continues to be a member of a club that apparently does not meet his expectations and suffers from production paralysis.

Perhaps the failure of clubs is not so much to do with age as to do with not making many movies. Perhaps Paddy's idea should be applied via the IAC, clubs must submit at least one major film per annum or lose their affiliation. If a "Video Club" is not making movies in a structured way, themes, deadlines, internal contests, audiences, community participation but listening to visiting experts over tea and biscuits then it has a different objective than film making.

Yesterday we started shooting "Refuge from the Storm", written by a local doctor for the TSB screenwriting contest. We have a large crew who have volunteered via a post on Facebook. The camera department, sound, props, costumes, continuity, stills, catering etc. all staffed by enthusiastic people who want to be part of the film making process. Although age is irrelevant it ranges from 20s to 80s and is not an issue. They will work on this project, many will work on future projects and many will start their own projects. We plan to have the film at BIAFF. There will be a wrap party and we will all meet again but to make film, not to have an evening together in a dusty church hall.

ned c
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Very nicely put, Ned.

I might be so bold as to add an extra aspect to the band analogy (having been in more bands than I care to remember) and that is the musician not only wants to be a part of a functioning band, but one where the whole is equal to or greater than the sum of its parts. The synergy of the individual members feeding off each other to create a work that is superior to that attainable by even its most accomplished or creative individual member is equally applicable to the film club scenario. Minus the beer, usually :wink:

Michael might work as a 'lone worker' but he doesn't think alone (excuse me for also making assumptions, Michael) because like all other creative, imaginative and productive artists, he takes care to look at what other filmmakers are up to. Us 'lone workers' don't just look at the latest technology and techniques, we also attend BIAFF and other film festivals and we watch and learn, consciously or subconsciously, and we take it away with us. So in some respects, the 'lone worker' is also a member of a club, albeit a virtual one.

I, and I suspect many other filmmakers, have no issue with age, although the 'elderly image' has been brought up on a number of occasions, particularly in respect of attracting younger people. It would make no difference to me if a club room was crammed full of 18 or 81 year olds, as long as the energy, vibrancy and function of the club was to make films. My own club doesn't make club films and doesn't appear to have any desire to (the last one was in 1997) but is instead full of individual filmmakers of varying competence. I try and help as best I can, when asked for help, but it's true I learn more by listening to guest filmmakers, chatting to other creative 'lone workers' from rival clubs and scouring the internet to look at what other filmmakers are doing.

However, I am not sure how forcing a club to submit at least one major film per year (to the IAC? into competition?) will help. Nearly all clubs make films at different levels, those that don't will naturally fade away. A declining club might argue "so what?" if the threat of withdrawal of IAC affiliation hangs over it, although I am only arguing this point because I am not exactly sure what benefits IAC affiliation gives it anyway? If a club doesn't make films then it doesn't need to be a part of the club competition network, and neither, I assume, would it benefit from the IAC music licences.

You are very lucky Ned, TSB sounds like a truly wonderful experience, along the lines of the 'super club' I mentioned in another thread. Unfortunately for me, if I decide to look for an 'arguably more proactive' filmmaking club, I am faced with a round trip of between 50 miles and 80 miles just to get to the next dusty church hall!

John
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I am starting to think we need a kickstarter project to buy vacuum cleaners for church halls!