A Festival Center

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
ned c

A Festival Center

Post by ned c »

https://festhome.com/

Interesting access to a number of festivals.

ned c
Michael Slowe

Re: A Festival Center

Post by Michael Slowe »

Well done Ned, thank you. They look OK, one question though. They refer to Vimeo quite a lot, do they suggest that entries for festivals should only be via Vimeo? I prefer to submit a disc (BD or DVD) since I consider that it would be more likely to be viewed on a TV screen than on a computer, thereby benefitting from superior picture quality and generally providing more impact.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Michael. It seems to vary by Festival but ultimately most festivals expect a DVD for screening. Increasingly Festivals are using Vimeo as a method of previewing entries and making selections for acceptance. This was introduced this year at DOCUTAH.

BIAFF is the only Festival I know of that accepts all entries for judging with written judges comments, so support it!!

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is easy to understand why many festivals find it simpler to do their pre-selection with films online. The Festival of Nations had around 850 entries and could show 104. The Grand OFF Festival has had about the same number and there are still several weeks until the closing date. Just handling that number of packages with discs / tapes and other material would be a nightmare.

As Ned explains most festivals contact the makers of the selected films to tell them they are in the running and to ask for a higher quality version to screen.

As yet BIAFF does not accept entries online. We still ask for a copy on BluRay and one of DVD if possible. But we do not pre-select. Every entry is considered by the judging panels, rated and given a written report.

A significant bonus to systems like Festhome is that they take care to weed out some of the dubious festivals which appear not to give public screening and just take the entry fee with little or no reward/return for the film maker.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I suppose initially viewing BIAFF movie on Vimeo could save you judges a trip to the judging venue and all the hastle and costs associated with a weekend away.

Pros and cons either way
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb