BIAFF 2014

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Mike Shaw

Re: BIAFF 2014

Post by Mike Shaw »

With so many of us now 'off piste', I suspect those of us with cars are going to be having the same problem Tim! :-(

However, I have been told that to the side of the Park Hotel there is another car park that charges just £2 a day. Can't verify that until there though...
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks Mike.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Tim, you and I plan to arrive on Sunday at about the same time, clearly the stage is set for a 'punch up' regarding a parking space! You are on for that drink at lunchtime though aren't you?
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Just been to the hotel en route to our off-piste* hotel and for a Friday it was pretty busy. I shall use the free.bus. until Sunday then wear my suit of armour and join the space race.....

*Valrie Ellis calls it the 'piste-off' hotel....
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Michael Slowe wrote: You are on for that drink at lunchtime though aren't you?
If I find somewhere to park by lunchtime I will definitely take you up on the offer - that is if I'm allowed to bring my wife. She surprisingly agreed to come with me (well, she did write the little ditty that they're showing on Sunday)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
fraught

Post by fraught »

I'm coming along tomorrow only i'm afraid. I wanted to come to both days, but the wife is not feeling 100% and leaving her with 3 screaming kids for a whole day was bad enough let alone 2!
I'm bringing my friend Seb Hall along, who is the lovely guy who runs the Red Carpet Screenings Events. Grab him for a chat if you can!
My colleagues who ran the film SoulMatrix that i produced will be around on the Sunday. Make sure you say Hi and say nice things to them. :)

See those there tomorrow... tomorrow. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I mentioned to Val Ellis we were 'off-piste', hotel wise, and she replied "I bet you're 'piste-off'.

I thought it worth repeating! :-)

(Thanks for the chuckle Val!)
Willy

Post by Willy »

"piste-off" ? I haven't found the word in my dictionary. You know that Dutch is my mother-tongue. It must be a slang word.
Yesterday and today my thoughts were in Bedford. I hope that you enjoyed the festival.
Willy Van der Linden
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Ah Willy, 'piste-off' sounds like the common (?) English phrase 'pissed off', which you'd expect people disenfranchised from their hotel to be. A nice twist I thought on the phrase 'off-piste' which (not being a skier) I believe to mean going down 'unchartered slopes' or something similar.

In fact the Park Hotel, all credit to them, bent over backwards to rectify their mistake - if one wasn't happy with the bus service they provided (which was pretty good) - all we had to do was order a taxi at the hotel (either) reception, and the Park Hotel paid the fare.

It didn't turn out too bad after all.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Well, BIAFF has come and gone for another year... and a thoroughly good time was had by all I think. Certainly the five of us in my party thought it was most enjoyable. As Mike has indicated, the hotel fiasco didn't spoil the weekend much at all. It was great to meet so many fellow enthusiasts as ever, and it was the usual mixture of good, bad and indifferent films. On the technical side, I do have to express my dismay about the presentation of my film FACE/BOOK on Sunday; clearly an ordinary DVD copy was used (ie. the backup disc) instead of the BluRay copy, resulting in inferior picture quality on the big screen; also for some reason the sound was out of sync, yet it's perfectly in sync on all the discs. In view of the fact that the judges had commented that "the sound recording is just brilliant" it was so disappointing for me that many people told me they enjoyed the film except for the lip-sync being out. When my other two films were shown on Saturday morning, clearly the BluRay discs WERE used and there was no sound problem at all. Anyway, well done to everyone who had films shown, and I'm looking forward to BIAFF 2015 already.