BIAFF 2014

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Willy

Re: BIAFF 2014

Post by Willy »

Actually it is good that I decided not to attend BIAFF 2014. I still have serious walking difficullties. I don't feel strong enough to cross the Channel and to walk. Half a mile is already too far.

I remember that BIAFF 2007 at Royal Tunbridge Wells was the best festival ever. We were also taken to a restaurant by coach for the winners' show and the gala dinner. Everything was well organized. I myself found a cosy B & B at the outskirts of the town. I hope that BIAFF 2014 at Bedford will be successful again in spite of all the problems at the Park Hotel. I wish the organizers all the best and hope that the audience will appreciate their efforts.

This year I really had to "fight" to get a film finished before the deadline of 31st January. You know why. "To Michael, with Love" got 4 stars. I am very happy with this result. To be honest: I thought that it deserved 4 stars. In my own club the judges told me that the documentary was boring and that the colours were not bright enough. Everybody said this was nonsense. Maybe it was because the judges didn't understand English and they were too lazy to read the Dutch subtitles. One of the judges was also dead nervous because it was her first time. She copied everything her "neighbour" had written. Anyway I thought : why not making my film shorter and brighten up all the images? I tried. Now it is 14 minutes long instead of 17 minutes. At the regional competition in Belgium the judges said : a film full of charm and romance! So I have the feeling that I have achieved my aim. A good result after that "annus horribilis".
Willy Van der Linden
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Willy - good the hear that you are on the mend! Keep up the good work and you should be in fine fettle for next year's BIAFF - to be held in sunny Kent!
Paddy Duffy

Post by Paddy Duffy »

Wow lots of catching up reading, It's a busy forum. Thank you for your answers for the questions I asked and thanks to Bob for your comments on my film :wink:

It's horrible to hear about everybody's issues with the Park Inn. Hopefully everything will work out and the festival goes off without a hitch.

Unfortunately due to work I won't be able to make the long trip but can't wait for all the films to be online.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Hello everyone,

just wanted to point out how excited I am to be part of the BIAFF once again. My first experience was in 2012 (I believe), when my first short (no budget) film, "The Raven", got incredible four stars. I was lucky enough to attend the screening and it was truly an unforgettable experience which definitely helped me choose filmmaking as my graduate studies. "13" was shot just before I had to move all the way from Serbia to Canada - because of the above mentioned studies - and I am absolutely thrilled the judges truly appreciated it. Despite the distance, I'll definitely try my best to actually be there, because it is such a wonderful, thrilling and inspiring event.

Cheers!
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Golly gosh! Break out the fizzy lemonade!

After the BIAFF result, I had mild, less than optimistic hopes for Enid at SERIAC ... .

But then ... it picked up four top Trophies - Best Editing, Best Documentary, Best Film at Festival and, the real feather in the cap as far as I am concerned - the Alex Dove Trophy which is awarded to the most entertaining Festival film as voted for by the audience after the show is over ...

Highly chuff-making! :D
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

It was well deserved, Mike.
I encourage you all to watch "Enid" - quite apart from the story being of interest, it is a good lesson in how to create varied and, more importantly, meaningful imagery to go with a historical subject for which there is precious little contemporary material. The attention to detail is fantastic.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

And for those who are confused ... Mike and Tim are referring to the SERIAC festival results here !
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yes, SERIAC ... I did say SERIAC ... judges came from 'oop Narth' (where obviously they have good taste! :-) )

Just spoken with Brenda to clarify that the 'refund' isn't to pay for the higher cost of staying at the Holiday Inn Express - and it isn't. What we've paid already covers it all and the refund is by way of mitigation.

Also, buses will be running throughout the day - and at the 'hot times' - eg for the Gala Dinner run - people will be checked in to see that no one is left behind. Anyone choosing to drive themselves between hotels - there is the Park Hotel car park of course which should have spaces, or there is next door apparently another car park which charges just £2 for a whole day.

Brenda has everything well organised - bus times should be in the Welcome Pack for example. Pity the hotel isn'#t as well run!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks for that helpful extra information, Mike.
Kevin Pritchard

Post by Kevin Pritchard »

Hi all,

I hope you all had a good time at SERIAC, I sadly had to work :(

I've heard from my club that I received a 'commended' for my music video, but as this is the first time I've ever entered the competition I'm not sure how the scoring works. It's easy to understand with the BIAFF, stars, diamond etc but with SERIAC I cant seem to find the scoring format. Could someone be able to explain the system please or link me to the info.

Well done to everyone involved.

Kev
Chichester Film and Video Makers.

https://www.youtube.com/No33films
MIKE COAD

Post by MIKE COAD »

I agree with Tim that all your awards were well deserved, Mike. As a fellow club member, I could be accused of bias, but you were up against some high quality entries and for me, 'Enid' was the obvious winner. An excellent show overall....well supported with 58 entries and a good attendance on the day. Where else could you get a superb programme of films and a buffet to die for at the bargain price of a fiver?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Kevin - the SERIAC Festival divides films into genres and types (e.g. club or individual)

So the usual pattern is that the judges choose the winner in each category, then use commendations to reward others which did not quite come top. Usually there are one or two Highly Commended awards and two or three Commended.

The other entries get ... thanks. (!)

That is how I recall it from judging the event some years ago.

Commendation means your film stands out from the crowd, albeit not enough to get the prize.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

If I can just add, unlike BIAFF films at SERIAC aren't 'graded' - they're in direct competition with other films in the same category (e.g. Documentary, drama, comedy and so on). I believe they have a rule that there cannot be a winner in a category unless a specific number of films have been entered into that category - probably as low as two or three.

At BIAFF, films are graded not on their subject matter or category but on the way they have been created - e.g., on their craftsmanship, irrespective of subject. Then the top graded movies are sent to the 'final' judges and that's where winner selection (and upgrading to Diamond status) takes place.

The BIAFF grading gives a good idea of the level of achievement a movie has reached in its creation.

The Trophy Awards simply mean that, according to a panel of perhaps three judges, one film is deemed better (by them) than others in the same category. Inevitably, that can often mean a subjective decision, whereas subjectiveness in the initial BIAFF judging is minimised since the film has to 'tick boxes' to achieve a star rating, to put it as simply as possible. Of course it is somewhat more complex than that, but basically, that is the difference.
Kevin Pritchard

Post by Kevin Pritchard »

Thank you gents for clearing that up. I understand now :)

Kev
Chichester Film and Video Makers.

https://www.youtube.com/No33films
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Any of you who happen to get online whilst you're up there, I'd appreciate any advice as to where to park on Sunday morning. After a two hour drive I don't fancy panicking at 9.00 whilst I find somewhere to park.
Enjoy Friday and Saturday and I'll see you on Sunday :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it