BIAFF 2014

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Mike Shaw

Re: BIAFF 2014

Post by Mike Shaw »

John - you have voiced the very reasons why I chose to book early, and went to great pains to ensure there was a room available before booking. Staying at another hotel - where I can't get back to my room throughout the day - means lugging important and needed stuff around with me all the time - and yes, trekking back and forth to change for the gala dinner will be extremely unwelcome.

Frankly if I hadn't been driving other people (who have also booked of course) up to Bedford for this event, I'd have cancelled - not the IACs fault at all, of course. As it happens two of them weren't going to be staying at the hotel anyway, and the other one has also been shifted to the Holiday Inn. That's the only thing that has stopped me from cancelling.

Incidentally, the covering letters state that breakfast will be at 'the other hotel', and they do say they're laying on buses "throughout the day" ... but I expect they mean 'at one or two set times'. Miss those, and you'll miss out.

One thing is certain. I will never ever book for a Bedford BIAFF at the Park again.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I phoned Brenda Granshaw (North Thames Region Chairman). She said that BIAFF will NEVER again be held at the Park Inn Hotel. She also confirmed that all meals apart from breakfasts will still be at the Park Inn. I expressed my irritation that, with regard to the rooms at the Park Inn, priority wasn't given to people who had booked early. I was told that priority was given to people with disabilities/special needs. There's nothing we can do about the situation. I'm blowed if I'm going to rely on the shuttle buses. I'll do my own driving between the two hotels. Every year in future when I book for BIAFF I shall want an absolute assurance in writing that a room is available at the actual hotel where the event is held. One final thing I found out from speaking with Theresa Malviya (Park Inns Reservations Office Manager) is that the person who was responsible for the massive cock-up no longer works for the company.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Howard - thanks for the additional information. One can only feel sorrow for the delegates who have been mucked about like this and for the North Thames Region organisers who have had to face the mess.

By the way remember there will be a parking fee at the Park Inn ...
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I'm with Howard on this - but thought the Park only charged for overnight car-parking. I don't trust their 'transport all day when you want it' quote either, and quite expected to drive myself (and anyone else around who wants to be ferried) back and forth as and when. Particularly when all suited up for the Gala dinner. Parking at the Holiday Inn hotel is free - the Park should at least do the same for those inconvenienced this way ... assuming they have enough car parking spaces of course. Which I very much doubt. That will be the next problem. Perhaps we should have reserved spaces made available ...

Last time I stayed at the Park the lifts didn't work if I remember ... so good to hear Brenda saying this is the last time that Hotel will be used.
fraught

Post by fraught »

On a side note.... films that win one of the Sponsor's Prizes, what is the criteria for this win? The reason i ask is that my film 'Addict' has won an 'Imagem Music Prize', yet i haven't been told why? Not complaining, as it's nice to receive something, i was just wondering what it was about my film that won this prize?
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Mike, your offer to help with lifts should earn you a gold star!

You may be right about the parking - I only noted the comment on the booking form that parking at the hotel is now in private hands.

Fraught: so far as I know there are no stated criteria for the sponsors awards apart from the Rycote one for Creative Use of Sound. The normal practice is to use them to reward UK entries which seem to have special merit, so for Addict I would regard it as giving you a rating of 5-Stars+ ... there is no point in awarding music collections to overseas entries because the companies usually only have music rights for Britain.

On the wider question of where future BIAFFs should be held, I have started a new thread called BIAFF2015 AND BEYOND
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

I can only concur; I am indeed offended at the 'booking' error which means that 50 or so IAC Members (including me are to be shunted off to the Holiday Inn). I liked the Park Inn because of it's proximity to the River. I do not like staying 'out of house' either especially after a journey of 170 miles which is why I shun some of the other Hotels which are offered by other regions.

I want to acknowledge that this is NOT the fault of this year's IAC Organiser.....who acted in good faith.

You will be seeing me....now on the evening of Saturday 12th for the Dinner: however You will NOT be seeing one of my films...

SO HERE's THE LINK to the film they do not want you to see.......(the sequel to "NO WAY BACK" my last year 5 STAR blockbuster):

"NO WAY UP"

https://vimeo.com/81019063

Warning: Contains scenes of an erotic and passionate nature.
Last edited by Bob Lorrimer on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Another gem! Brilliant.

Tell your 'sister' she is a very fine actress ...

I don't like staying out of house either, to the point where I'd definitely cancel in preference to so doing.

However, this year I am chauffeuring Reg and Annabelle to BIAFF and so will go with the flow - at least I'll be in very good company by the sound of it, and there will be some familiar faces at the breakfast tables.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Bob

The actress who plays the female lead just gets better each year a damn fine attractive looking lady, there must be many red hot blooded males in the movie making fraternity who sigh each time they see her magnificent looks onscreen........if only!

Another great movie, you were robbed........again.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Bob's rat is brilliant! (please don't take that out of context) :lol:

Does anyone know what time the displaced delegates can check in at the Holiday Inn on the Saturday, also when the first shuttle bus is leaving? I was originally intending to have a leisurely drive to the Park Inn and check-in during one of the breaks, I might now however be forced to drive down earlier in order to check-in at the Holiday Inn and catch the bus in time for the 9:30 cinemas. Either that or spend my lunch break shuttling back and forth and checking in with 49 other film-makers... Must remember to pack a sandwich... :D
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Their website says 2pm for the booking in time John.

I've been trying to get hold of someone who has the answers, without much success, to find out what the parking will be like at the Park hotel that weekend - the site says (I think) something like 70 spaces. If that is the case - and bearing in mind how many people will be driving in for the Saturday and or the Sunday (plus the residents of various hotels) - are there nearby car parks that don't entail walking too far (I'm limited by my knees unfortunately).

No walking round the hotel in shirtsleeves either ...

I don't know how many hotels Radisson own, but I'll make sure I never book into another again! Almost as bad as the hotel we stayed in at Grantham some years back ... we went out for a meal, and got back to find our room was now occupied by two girls - and the room was filled with about half a dozen of their girly friends - and one of them was taking a bath. You may think 'what luck!', but I was with my wife...
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

There's a script in that story Mike!
Brian Saberton
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Brian Saberton wrote:There's a script in that story Mike!
With a starring role for Maria :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

:D
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

Well what a mess up! It`s certainly livened up the forum! But there is no excuse for such an error by the hotel. The IAC can only do their best in sorting it out but it will be a great inconvenience to a lot of people, especially when some have walking difficulties.

We purposefully left it late to book as we couldn`t decide if we were going and if so, when, so had to book another hotel anyway. I was surprised to see many nearby alternatives were also full on my internet search, so we are now at the Premiere Inn which looks like it`s a bit of a walk from the Park Inn, so will be a bit tricky at times timing it.

Like Fraught, our film was also awarded a special prize for sound. Our critiques (we had two for some reason) did mention the soundtrack as something to note, so I guess this was the reason we were singled out for something extra. Don`t know if this will be awarded at the Saturday show where we are being screened or on Sunday with others? I think we have seen it done different ways at different festivals.