BIAFF 2014

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
TimStannard

Re: BIAFF 2014

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote:I shall stand in the corner, head bowed, suitable admonished .... :-(
And so you should, Mike! Only kidding. This just highlights another difficulty with judging. Whilst, as Dave says, judges have to try to put their own prejudices to one side regarding subject matter, it must be almost impossible to discount something that one sees as infeasible as this totally ruins the story. Here, you saw Karen's initial reaction as infeasible and it was therefore impossible for you to see any credibility in the rest of the story. Those of us who have seen the film in a different light clearly did not find that an issue.

Two years ago, I found the Best British Entry - Pigeon Post - totally infeasible because I did not believe that a couple who lived within cycling distance of each other would communicate the urgent fact that one had been called up and was leaving the next day by carrier pigeon. It rather spoiled it for me although in this case the story did not pivot on this device.

One of my own films, gaining three stars this year, was picked on as having an infeasible plot device. Rather amusingly, three infeasible plot devices have been picked up in this film by different judges, but in each they have not seen the other devices as infeasible!

Subjectivity again :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Fraught; the uproar here has subsided and I have watched " Karen's Room"; twice.

Congratulations a very accomplished film of high technical quality and with excellent acting and a very complex theme. Perhaps I am stating the obvious but it is clearly a dream. the opening titles with the unsteady movement is as she enters REM and the awakening to find a man in her room with no surprise is a typical dream scenario. The clue is that she had been drinking the previous evening and watched a DVD; this must have been "Men in Black"; see her visitors outfit, the alien capture theme and the passing reference to "does she like SciFi". The film is loaded with Freudian references; fully dressed man; naked woman; pistol. men in masks; message from her father. The dream state is also signaled by the high key lighting; this film is made by people who know what they are doing and this is obviously intentional. For even deeper subtext is she pregnant and the removal of the alien a potential abortion? At the end she goes back into true sleep; will she remember this when she awakes? I feel the final shot is a mistake.

If I was judging this wold be a 5 star with on to Diamond.

Now off to see my analyst.

ned c
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Geoff - here's some of my thoughts on "Karen's Room" which I have watched and enjoyed. I must say that I took the film at face value and didn't read all the sub text or Freudian references into it that Ned has done though I did spot the homage to Men in Black. People react to the situations they find themselves in in different ways so I accepted that the way Karen reacted to finding the man in her bedroom was true to the character she was playing and was therefore believable within the context of the story. I wasn't keen on the hand held camera over the opening title sequence but otherwise I felt that the style suited the edgy mood of the piece, particularly in the early part of the film. It's difficult to comment on the rating without seeing other films in the competition but, on balance, I think I would say that four stars is probably right.
Brian Saberton
fraught

Post by fraught »

Really enjoying all these reviews. Certainly makes me feel better that all you wonderful people are watching it and for the most part enjoying it. :)

Ned... i love your take on the film, but that was not our intention when we set out to make the film... atleast not from my part as the Director, i can't comment on what was going through the Writer's mind! :)

Bob, I do hope you do come and watch 'Addict', hopefully you'll think it was worthwhile. It's been reviewed on some websites, and they seem to like it... have a read, they may help you to make your mind up.

UK Horror Scene - http://www.ukhorrorscene.com/addict-2013-review/
Hayley's Horror Reviews - http://mshayleyr1989.wordpress.com/2014 ... 12-review/
Gorepress - http://www.gorepress.com/2013/10/30/addict/
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Now the problems begin ...

The BIAFF screening timetables are published !

Look: Fraught's Karen's Room, Michael Slowe's Oui, Chef!, Patrick Duffy's Death at the Grand and John Roberts' Un pezzettino d'Italia
are all playing in different room in the first block of Saturday morning! Aaaaargh!

See the timetables starting here: http://www.theiac.org.uk/eventsnew/biaf ... how01.html
fraught

Post by fraught »

I hope Patrick Duffy knows his film is being shown? As he was saying in his post that it wasn't being shown!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Dave, I thoroughly recommend Michael Slowe's OUI, CHEF! which I saw at the recent CEMRIAC seminar when Michael was one of the guest speakers. Well up to his usual excellent standards. Coincidentally, you'd also see two of my films in the same session! Looks like I hold the record this year for the number of films shown at BIAFF (three)?! I'm very proud...
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I'm not sure I could stomach Un pezzettino d'Italia for the 1,267th time so I'll probably have a wander to a different room :lol:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I have dropped Paddy a line about his film noir being shown.

As old hands will know, the problem at BIAFF can be getting into the show you want. Those that seem attractive often fill up before the end of the intervals, so chatty people like me race to the mini-cinemas only to find one or two are already full up! Luckily there are good shows in all of them, so I am never really disappointed.

Howard - yes, two films on Saturday and one on Sunday - hurrah for you. I will probably have to miss your Saturday shows because I will be accompanying a Dutch guest to another room where her film is playing ... so if you happen to have a spare DVD with you ... And I have seen Michael's splendid Oui, Chef! thanks.

I think the record for most films submitted this year goes to Neal O'Neil. I don't think any of his are being screened ... but you may be able to see them online afterwards.

My hardest choice will be Saturday after lunch. I DO enjoy the young people's show with so much energy and interesting ideas. But all three alternatives are very appealing. aaargh!
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

One (at least) of Neil's is being shown.

I'm also torn between choosing which theatres to attend ... and am a bit surprised that Sam the Man is not being shown on the Sunday! The choice for me on most occasions is the theatre that is showing the fewest films I've already seen ...

I wonder if running the show over three days instead of two would be a viable option (i.e. - two theatres running through Friday and Saturday instead of four Saturday?).
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Well, I have a real problem because my team (where I have a season ticket), Arsenal Football Club, are playing their Cup Semi Final at Wembley on the BIAFF Saturday and I have to go. The match is at 5pm so I reckon that I don't need to leave Bedford until 2.30 so I'll have to plan my viewing around that. I never watch my own film since I've seen it before, unless there's something in the same programme that I want to see.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Now I hear they've drastically overbooked the Park - and I, along with around 50 others, are being shunted off elsewhere.

So much for booking early.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I've just returned home to find the same letter as Mike Shaw about overbooking at the Park Inn. My four friends and I are all being shunted to the Holiday Inn ten minutes away. This is very annoying indeed as we all booked early, as soon as the booking opened (? October). I'd like to know on what basis they decided whose bookings at the Park Inn would be honoured. If there was any fairness about the situation, then all the early bookers like Mike and us would get their rooms at the Park Inn and the late bookers would be shunted. My friend Vaughan Williams has DVT and eye problems and needs frequently to return to his room between shows for his eye medication and DVT exercises; not possible if the hotel is ten minutes away. What an inconvenient cock-up. Most disappointing.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

The same thing happen to people I know last time the event was in Bedford.

Last year in Chesterfield the rooms available were soon booked up

Perhaps it's time for a change of hotels used, the Park Inn has 120 rooms and The Chesterfield only 73

Maybe a questionnaire to all those attending and resident in local hotels is called for?
Last edited by col lamb on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I'm being shunted off as well, which is not too inconvenient for me but some questions immediately spring to mind, which could do with addressing by the Hotel (laying no blame on the IAC):

Transport is provided, but at what times? There is check-in to consider (11:30am at the Holiday Inn?) and also the Gala Dinner - attendees will require 'freshening up' and changing, so will there be a shuttle back and forth between the two hotels to accommodate this?

Breakfasts? Dinners and Sunday Lunch?

What time will the 'last bus' travel back to the Holiday Inn? I might not be able to hear the merriment of my slightly inebriated fellow film-makers staying at the Park Inn over the din of traffic on the A421...

Also disappointed :(