GOING TO OVERSEAS FESTIVALS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

GOING TO OVERSEAS FESTIVALS

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I have just returned from The ARSfilm Festival in the Czech Republic. I told the delegates why the festival's name usually raises a smile among English-speakers, but also reassured them that the event is held in respect by the amateur film world. It is, I think, the only amateur film festival devoted to the arts. Its three categories of entry are
(1) films about art - this year including clay modelling, reminiscences about the shooting of 'Amadeus' in Prague, revived folk traditions, a "lost" musical mass, a painter and an amateur film maker with a remarkable library of work covering arts, crafts and architecture. There was a remarkable film by a 17 year-old about a lady who makes needle-point copies of famous paintings.

(2) Animations - in many years this section is dominated by Jaroslav Nikyl whose work rivals Warner and Disney in their cel-painting hey-day. This year he had no new work ready and there were only two entries ... so animators out there, give the festival a try.

(3) Experimental film - which covers formal experiments in style of several kinds.

The only British entry, Ian Woodward's The Red Rose won a UNICA medal from the festival. Congratulations, Ian. Delegates were still talking to me about his film at the last festival on Bohemia's Woods and Fields.

But this takes me to the point of this post: the joys and values of going to festivals in other countries. I love talking to film makers and enthusiasts ... even if talking means mainly using sign and body language, miming actions and lots of laughter. My German got a work out and my schoolboy French, but one chat was in pigeon-Spanish, which I only know from Westerns and movie quotes like "Hasta la vista, baby!"

It is also intriguing to see the different types of film offered and enjoyed in different countries.

Most festivals are relatively small events and so very friendly. Compared with British ones there is a lot more alcohol around and often some good meals thrown in too. Plus there is the chance to visit interesting places. The ARSfilm festival takes place in Kromeriz near Brno at the far side of Czechia. That is off the usual tourist routes but the town is stunning - packed with wonderful buildings, an amazing formal garden and a huge "English style" park which is peaceful and very beautiful.

Of course not everyone can afford the time or expense of going to festivals. This one is unusual in being just a weekend and since Ryanair do a daily flight to Brno the cost is not too bad. Others like UNICA, FIFA and the Festival of Nations last a week so have to be treated as part of your annual holiday plans. But if you can consider one - and can persuade your non-filmy partner that the event takes place in a good holiday resort anyway ... why not?

There is a list on the main IAC website at http://www.theiac.org.uk/eventsnew/fest ... ivals.html ... maybe think about UNICA 2014 at the end of August in a Spa Town in Slovakia ...
Lee Prescott

Re: GOING TO OVERSEAS FESTIVALS

Post by Lee Prescott »

:lol:

Nah then Dave as is said in "polite circles". Liked your Post about your visit to the Československá republika. Trouble is when one gets a bit "ancient" Insurance Cos. dunna wanna know as they're all based on the principle of "we want our cake and eat it" ! So, "Voyages internationaux" tend to be difficult. Perhaps this is another essential avenue the IAC hierarchy could advise members on and perhaps recommend a Company that will provide such insurance? After all is said and done, we're not all decrepit or have entered our "dotage" - Of course an applicant may be asked to undergo a medical or provide medical evidence. CHeez, my next door neighbour aged 54 years has a quadruple heart by pass and he's still permitted to drive and wallow in the glossy spots of Spain et al!

Incidentally but not being naughty maybe the Czech word for (*) thingy is prdel? ---Depends on the context though I suppose. Years ago I always remember Unilever's problem with the soap powder Rinso in South America. Then of course later our friends across the Pond objected to the name of our ancient town of Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire when mailing anything from there!!!

CHeez life's a laugh a minute init?

Cheers....LEE: :D