ATTENDING FESTIVALS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

ATTENDING FESTIVALS

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I have been to several festivals around Europe in the last few years. We are puzzled why some attract large audiences and others relatively small ones.

A great many film makers enjoy sending their work to festivals hoping that their films will be seen ... and if they get a certificate or an award that is a bonus. Most cannot afford to visit every single festival in which their films might take part. But ... if festivals do not attract decent audiences:

a) is it worth sending your film where not many people will see it
b) how long can the festival survive without the income and (just as important for organisers) the active support of visitors?

Many festivals have gone to the wall in the last few years, partly as organisers retire and partly due to the financial crisis which makes grants and sponsorship hard to find.

Of course I am not suggesting we should attend festivals simply to help keep them going. Every festival brings new delights with films we have never previously come across, new ideas and techniques, old ideas revived in timely fashion ... and the sociable buzz of friendly contact with other film enthusiasts. If your film is shown there is the terrifying thrill of observing a different audience reacting to it. A few festivals offer written comments on all entries, whether they are screened or not. Most only offer spoken comment by the jury on the films which are selected for screening. You - or a friend with a recorder - have to be there for you to gain any critical insights.

So should we, as film makers, try to plan to attend at least one or two festivals each year? BIAFF being in Britain is pretty easy for us to get to. It lasts for a long weekend. Some European festivals last up to a week.

Should we make the effort???
ned c

Re: ATTENDING FESTIVALS

Post by ned c »

Some thoughts on Dave's Festival comments. Having been involved in the organisation of two Festivals (AMPS & DOCUTAH) at the Festival end we want:

1. Lots of entries. Not all will be screened at the Festival but will have been viewed by the reviewers. Notes to the film makers like BIAFF are a rarity and very demanding on the judges.
2. People support; DOCUTAH screens about 100 movies in 3 cinema locations over 4 days; the number of people required to prepare; manage the entries and the audience is huge and they are volunteers who get a tee shirt and a free pass!
3. Financial support; DOCUTAH is organised and run from our local university and still needs financial support from the city.
4. Film makers at the Festival. This is increasingly difficult as travel costs have risen and time off work a problem but the more film makers present the better to answer questions at the screenings and seminars are organised. In my experience these are often the best part of the Festival..
5. The local non-film making population at the Festival - we are lucky as the locals join in and support the Festival.
6. There are now dozens (perhaps hundreds) of festivals world wide and very few specifically for the non-commercial/amateur film maker. I have yet to see one on Withoutabox a missed opportunity?

Films are made to be seen and Festivals are a place where we can get an audience rather than a viewer (Vimeo and YouTube). However; I suspect that the future of Festivals lies with the Internet. I was a final judge for the student entries to DOCUTAH this year; I viewed the final selection on line; accessing each film with a key and viewing on my 23 inch computer monitor; not ideal but workable.

ned c
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I'd love to visit every festival going. It's a question of cost though I'm afraid. That's the trouble with living on a pension from the past in today's economy.

Plus ... I don't travel so well these days ... :(

But if they ever organise one in Bromley - I'll be there! :)
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

This is a question very close to my heart since it is a constant quest to have one's films seen by audiences. I generally make at least one film a year which generally do quite well at BIAFF but that seems to be about it. I submit to a number of festivals listed in withoutabox but, as Ned writes, they are mostly for professionals. I've had the odd acceptance and showing but often in places far away. I'd love to attend non commercial festivals in Europe but my wife is not a great fan of the 'amateur' film scene so am reluctant to go. Also, I find that many festivals limit production lengths to 20 minutes and I rarely keep to that, although my latest is 22 minutes! Even my IAC region, North Thames, has a 20 minute limit, so I've not sent films there for years, and can't this year. I will follow Dave's European festival listings more carefully in future and try and enter. A major query for me is, do we have to sub title in English? I really can't be bothered to do that, advice please Dave!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Say it quietly, so as not to cause offence, but ... no, you do not need to subtitle in English. It is the most common second language for most European countries and very widely understood on other regions too. When we attend festivals in other countries most films that are not in English have English subtitles!

When we take films to UNICA, we try to subtitle them as a matter of courtesy.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Due to cost and time (family/job/hobby permitting) i try and visit the festivals that screen something i have made or worked on. These days, my films get better responses abroad than at home and i have yet to visit a festival abroad. I'm going to do my best to change that this year, having gone film festival entering crazy!

I love going to festivals, and i think the more support they get the better... i just wish i could attend more. :(
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net