YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

Post by Dave Watterson »

I understand that results are being posted to those who sent their films to the IAC International Competition about now. Usually the Competition Officer also tells people if their work will be screened at BIAFF.

Was your rating what you expected / hoped for?
Is it to be screened?
Will you be there?

Dave
fraught

Re: YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

Post by fraught »

Addict has won a 4 Star Award. If i'm honest, i'm disappointed. But hey... it's just my opinion. (won't go down the "what do the judges know?" lines!)
The comments are great though, but it appears they marked it down due to the audio being out of sync (an issue i missed when rendering the DVD) and they didn't like the ending. I'm not too upset, as i've already rectified the issues they pointed out, but i hadn't got it all sorted in time for the deadline for the film submission. Maybe i should have held fire and entered next year? Hey Ho!
On the plus side though, Paul Anthony the star of the film has been put forward for the 'Best Actor' award! I'm really chuffed for him as he put in an amazing performance, and quite literally gave me his soul for the film! I really hope he wins it! :)

As for the film being shown... that's a big NO! LOL! I expected nothing less to be honest... the film is very violent and gratuitous in more ways than one. I wouldn't have expected the gentle souls at the IAC to be able to handle it. ;-) (I've read reactions to my comparatively mild film 'Room 4'!) In some ways this is a bit of a relief, as it helps with my decision on attending or not. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

As I recall it is also a fairly long film, Fraught. I suspect there may be a number of fine longer films that will not be shown because they would take up a whole session of one mini-cinema and the BIAFF audience is not keen on trying that ... they believe in a varied programme of shorter work.

The cut I saw was very powerful and I am not at all surprised that the leading man's performance is recognised as outstanding.

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

Hi Dave,

Yeah the length of the film is one reason for it not to be shown, but the other reason is... and i quote "...due to the film's content, which makes a public screening to a general audience too high a risk, even with appropriate warnings."

Shame.

As i said, i didn't expect it to be shown, and because the film has changed loads since i submitted it, i'm kinda glad they aren't showing it. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes, result received yesterday. From the few limited screenings so far I had a feeling that my latest might do well as it's fairly unusual but you never ever know because, as I'm always telling people who carp about judges decisions, judging any art form is such a subjective matter. The proper version runs for 43 minutes but I cut a shorter one of 33 in order to sidetrack the annual comments on my films of "much too long". Anyway it got a Diamond and Best Doc. so we'll see if it is popular or not! I think I wrote a piece about the making of that appeared in the magazine a couple of issues ago.
Jill Lampert

Post by Jill Lampert »

Congratulations Michael. I can't wait to see your new film.

I got three stars for my "Parenting Styles". I was hoping for four, so a bit disappointed. But the comments were very full and clear and I could see why the judges thought it wasn't as good as I thought it was.

Jill
ned c

Post by ned c »

Local film maker Shaun Labrecque won Diamond and Best Story for "Present from the Past" The Space Between received 4 stars for "Four Way Stop" (If you wonder where "local" is it is SW Utah USA).

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Ned and Mary star in Labrecque's next movie, I think!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

I'm really keen to learn how my two films DAWN and LIKE MOTHER have fared, but I haven't received my results yet. This is somewhat frustrating, having seen that others have already received theirs! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for five stars for DAWN, and four stars for LIKE MOTHER. Time will tell! :|
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Congratulations Michael! Was that the "Last of the Wolfgangs" that we were privileged to seeat Staines last year?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Tim, yes.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Well now, Dave, you asked for our results and comments, so here goes. Having achieved 4-star awards for the last four consecutive years, I submitted two 20-minute films entitled DAWN and LIKE MOTHER. Everybody to whom I've shown DAWN has told me that it's the best film I've ever made and that it's virtually a dead-cert for 5 stars. The general feeling was that LIKE MOTHER wasn't quite as good but should still be a 4-star winner.

I've received the letter today with my results. Both my films have been given 3 stars, the same as my first BIAFF entry in 2007, and I can't conceal my disappointment. DAWN is being shown at BIAFF but not LIKE MOTHER. I feel that DAWN is as good a film as I can ever make, so I'm thinking now that I never will achieve the heights of the 5-star and Diamond awards. Anyway, I'll be there as usual at BIAFF with my friends and will watch with interest the winning films on Sunday to work out where I've gone wrong!
Howard-Smith LACI
:(
Willy

Post by Willy »

Congratulations, Michael and other forum-friends! You are just like wine, Michael. The older the better. Two years ago you showed your extremely good film about hunting dogs. Now you have won another diamond! Fantastic, Michael! Of course the best film must win the Daily Mail Trophy. Not the most sympathetic man. I hope your film will be the best film! Then it also goes to a sympathetic, energetic and enthusiastic filmmaker! I keep my fingers crossed for you.

I am also happy with my own results. I got 4 stars for "Marc Remembers Sarah". It's about the stained glass windows of a Parish Church in Kent. They have been designed by the world famous Jewish artist Marc Chagall in honour of a young lady who perished in the North Sea. Her father was a Jew. Her mother was an Anglican.

Alan Whippy is the guide in the church. His acting talent is superb. Ron Prosser, Rod Willerton and David Fenn, who are Haywards Heath Movie Makers, also helped me quite a lot. I am very grateful to them. Am I allowed to recommend my film that will be screened on Saturday?

For "Mon Petit Bonhomme" I received 5 stars. It will be screened on Sunday. It's a fiction film about a little man. He's always been bullied by his friend. But he can take "revenge". I didn't ask any professional actors, only friends and members of families. One English friend said about my main actor: "there is pathos and humour in one person". I am very happy with what he said. In the mean time "Mon Petit Bonhomme" heard that he suffers from lung cancer. He is fighting very hard. Julien was looking forward to attending the festival.... but alas... Let's hope that he can win the battle. He also attended BIAFF 2011 (Harrogate) and 2012 (Weymouth).

I am also happy with these 5 stars for an other reason. At the regional competition three weeks ago a judge told me in public : "If I were you I would stop making fiction films. Your documentaries are much better." My documentary "Marc Remembers Sarah" got a very high score, ... but "Mon Petit Bonhomme" was not selected at all. I could not believe it! The judges could not appreciate the dialect in the film. However there was no bad language in it. They also said that I had better taken TV-stars or professional actors to play these roles... I was furious but I stayed calm. I replied and said : "Maybe you are right but I enjoyed making this fiction film. I don't have the intention to stop making such films besides my documentaries. And I am also an amateur." I was discouraged but now I have already made 179 sketches in pencil for my next fiction film called "Mona Mon Amour" (working title). I am a bit stubborn, you know.
Willy Van der Linden
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

Hi and well done to All the Competitors.....it is never easy to open a "results letter" for the BIAFF Competition. It is even more difficult to read the Judge's critiques!

However I am gratified to have a couple of Five Star films in my bag this year and generous 'comments' from the adjudicators....it would seem I am in illustrious company.

Comedy is a notoriously difficult genre so it is a pleasing result.

The films are: NO WAY BACK 6mins and THE EGG 3 mins

Bob
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

So far your responses are mainly positive ... which means the judges got it about right ... or were too generous :lol:

Howard - the line between four and five star can be very fine. Do try your latest works on other competitions and see how they are rated there. As Willy's story about a Belgian regional competition reveals, reactions can vary a lot. What about the Armenian NOFI contest? Malta's Golden Knight? The Australian contests? Tallin? I have not yet seen your films but if either could be said to fit the theme "panta rei - everything flows" then try the Danube festival. All those are free to enter. Check out the list of Festivals http://www.theiac.org.uk/eventsnew/fest ... ivals.html