YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

Re: YOUR BIAFF 2013 RESULTS

Post by Dave Watterson »

This sort of exercise is an excellent idea.

It exposes club members to a wider range of movies than normal - including some from other countries and cultures.
It stresses the fact that ratings are always a matter of opinion (no matter what the theory of marking may be).
It makes people think about what elements they might borrow or adapt for use in their own work.
It may encourage more members to send their films to BIAFF for comments and evaluation.

Hurrah!
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I agree with Dave W in that this is a great idea, and maybe something I ought to put to my club as well (we've already watched and discussed some of the NERIAC showreels)

However I have a couple of issues. The first one being that club members reading the same article on what makes a good movie before actually watching the movies, may have influenced the outcome to some degree. I concede that judges may or may not have more judging experience than some club members but surely let the members judge and comment on what they see without predisposing them to one particular person's argument, good though that might be. Use BIAFF judging parameters when awarding BIAFF scores.

My second issue has again cropped up in this thread (and others) although I refrained from commenting on it previously. I see time and time again 'film x' (again) was deemed better than the judges awards, 'film y' (again) should have been better, but the 'secret' film (again), which shall not be named, was far inferior to the judges final scores. I for one, would like to know what this film is, because I can't help feeling that it's mine. Without knowing, what other conclusion can I come to (and other high award winners at BIAFF 2013 might think the same)? Believe me, no-one was more shocked than I was to receive my award, but the judges comments explained the reasons why. If a film does not or cannot be seen to merit the awards given then why not mention it, to open the discussion about it? Surely this is the greatest learning experience, especially for the film maker concerned? Instead we are once again left wondering about the secret film and the film-maker, possibly me, has no chance to explain. I for one would prefer not to see comments about a poor film, unless constructive criticism to back up those comments is also posted.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

John

It cannot possibly be yours, I did refer to the movie in question as a 5*, yours was a Diamond

I am not naming the movie because I do not wish to offend the maker, but as it is a 5* that sort of narrows it down a bit and as Bob L's The Egg was under marked then the options are even less and so it is one of three possibilities.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

l should perhaps clarify Col's words where he says, quote : 'Using Tom Hardwicks very good article in FVM on what makes good movie as a guide, all the members read the article before starting to watch the movies.'
My article certainly didn't tell anyone how to make a good movie, all it did was tell people how to win film competitions, quite a different matter.

tom.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

My apologies to everyone, no offences intended. My feeble excuse is I've just seen daylight after spending several weeks locked in a recording studio laying bass guitar tracks down. Which probably explains a lot...!

:lol:
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I always intended to make a follow-up to Tom's article entitled "How to make a film which will win competitions when (English) club members get to vote"

1. Ensure it's credited to a long serving member.
2. The subject should be someone involved if possible in some way in WWII.
3. Copious use of music by Glen Miller and Elgar.
4. Include lovely tranquil scenery shots set to above music.
5. At least one fluffy animal with big eyes, preferably performing a heroic act.

If you belong to a particularly progressive club, substitute 2 with a subject from Afganistan or Iraq.

(Just kidding, but I reckon most of you can recognise this and no doubt add to the list)

[Editor ... I made a few small changes to the text ... Tim keep an eye on what predictive text does!!!]
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
fraught

Post by fraught »

Very funny Tim, and i completely see where you are coming from there.

:)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

TimStannard wrote: [Editor ... I made a few small changes to the text ... Tim keep an eye on what predictive text does!!!]
Thanks Ed. I've no idea what I typed, but the worrying thing is I don't use predictive text so it must be my subconscious typing!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Tim

You have STOLEN my idea of a movie

:lol:

As for predictive text, you probably typed the right words but; order not right in the.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
fraught

Post by fraught »

fraught wrote:Since submitting my film, i've made some drastic changes to it, shooting more scenes, cutting some more, and doing a bit of a jig around. Would i be able to resubmit next year?
Happy to say the answer is yes... so my final and complete cut of 'Addict' is now winging it's way to BIAFF14. I still doubt that it'll get screened which is a shame as it looks lovely in HD, but i guess it being feature length does cut down it's chances (content aside). You never know though... one can only hope that after the changes i've made, the final film is good enough to screen despite the graphic content. I wouldn't see a problem with it being screened with regards to the content as long as the appropriate warnings were put in place, we're all adults after all. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net