UNICA 2013 - South Korea cancels ... AUSTRIA takes over!

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

UNICA 2013 - South Korea cancels ... AUSTRIA takes over!

Post by Dave Watterson »

We heard late in January that South Korea will not now host the 2013 UNICA festival - the one where nations compete.
22nd February we heard that Austria will host the event from 24th August to 1st September. More details to come.

======================================================================================================
This was how we heard about the cancellation from the UNICA Treasurer:

Zurich, 23 August 2013

Dear film friends
Dear UNICA participants

This morning the Korean National Association has informed us that UNICA 2013 cannot be performed in Korea.
Due to health problems, as well as cancellation of subsidies, Mr. Chang unfortunately had to retire as organizer.

The committee is looking for a new venue for the UNICA 2013 with a new organizer.
In this respect several conversations already take place.
We ask for your patience and we will let you know in the coming weeks where the UNICA 2013 will take place this year.
All we can already say is that it will be in the middle of Europe.

We will publish the new venue with the data on the website of UNICA and the website UNICA 2013 Korea.
Also, you will also be contacted directly by e-mail.

Sincerely
Thomas Kräuchi
Mike Shaw

Re: UNICA 2013 - South Korea cancels

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yes, I saw this message too ... thwey hope to hold it somewhere in Europe.

Maybe this year I will make the effort to go ... (remind me to book early!)
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Don't book too early! Think of the people who have already booked flights to Korea ... and a couple of groups were planning a sight-seeing trip to China before or after the UNICA. I doubt they will find it easy to get refunds.

It would suit me better for the event to be in Europe ... a shorter journey is easier on the knees.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Could you recommend Beerzel or Heist-op-den-Berg in Belgium? It's only 3 miles from where I live. A cultural centre. A fantastic festivity hall. An auditorium. About 350 seats I think. A nice cafetaria. Enough parking space. Not too far from the airport and railway station. And I am sure not too expensive.

Actually it's unbelievable that UNICA cannot take place in South Korea. I fear that the Seoul International Short Film Festival won't take place either. It seems to be well organised. I also remember the friendly South Korean group in Weymouth and the years before. As you can see the organisation of a festival or competition may "fall" if one of the most energetic and inspiring staff members "falls out of" circulation.

I have booked accommodation in Chesterfield (BIAFF) but I should still ask tickets for tea and the events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe it's wise to wait for another month or so. Chesterfield is not far from the Peak District, an area of outstanding beautiy in England. We can visit nice places like Castleton instead of watching film. Boots are made for walking. If you still can do it please!
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Re: UNICA 2013 - South Korea cancels ... AUSTRIA takes over!

Post by Dave Watterson »

Since these posts were written, Austria agreed to host this, the 75th UNICA.

At this morning's jury vote "No Regrets" by Alfie Barker and "The Robbery" by WACC won bronze medals. That is quite an achievement as from 103 amateur entries, there were just 4 golds, 6 silver and 15 bronze medals.

Both our entries in the World Minute Movie Cup were selected for screening, but neither got through to the last heats.

The hosts for the event are Fieberbrunn film club. They have done a magnificent job.