CALLING ALL FILM MAKERS: CHRISTMAS IN A DAY

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

CALLING ALL FILM MAKERS: CHRISTMAS IN A DAY

Post by Dave Watterson »

I work for Ridley Scott Associates; a London based Film Company. We’re asking members of the public to contribute to Oscar winning director Kevin MacDonald's latest documentary film, Christmas in a Day. In 2010 Kevin made the ground-breaking film LIFE IN A DAY, comprised entirely from footage uploaded to YouTube on 24th July 2010 by contributors from across the world. It showed at festivals and cinemas and is now available to watch at http://www.youtube.com/lifeinaday, seen over 6 million times.

We will be doing the same thing again, this time with Britain as our base and Christmas as our day. We want to see how people are spending Christmas day and the lead up to it this year and hope to involve as many people as possible, from as many different walks of life.

As well as getting members of the public involved we're keen to target as many film clubs as possible and I attach a message from Kevin and wondered if you circulate it to all your members?

We’re interested in surprising stories (eg. marriage proposal on Christmas day) or poignant stories (first Christmas without a loved one) and of course happy Christmassy stories – (kids getting up very early in the morning to open their presents).

We’ll ask people to submit their unedited film, as soon as possible after Christmas day and as this project is being made possible by Sainsbury’s, if your footage makes it through to the finished film, we are able to offer an incentive of £200 in Sainsbury’s vouchers, as well as an invitation to the premiere.

As yet the website isn't up and running but should be by the end of the week. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want any further information.

All best, Maxine Ostwald

RSA Films Limited
42-44 Beak Street
London W1F 9RH
Mob: 07808401436
Tel: 0207 437 7426

Oscar-winning director Kevin Macdonald (TOUCHING THE VOID, THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND, LIFE IN A DAY, MARLEY)
is asking filmmakers to take part in “Christmas In A Day.”
Find a character with a story or tell your own story, all submissions are welcome.

From Kevin Macdonald:
“I want to document not just the big day itself but the process leading up to it - getting the tree, travelling to relatives, picking presents etc.

I would like the film to be comprised of as much variety as possible, of truth and beauty, happiness and sadness, the mundane and the extraordinary, to creating a lasting record of this time. It would be wonderful to reach hospitals, the homeless, families, everything that is going on.

I'm assembling the same team behind LIFE IN A DAY and BRITAIN IN A DAY and if you would like be involved, we would love to see your footage.

The finished film will premiere in time for NEXT Christmas – 2013 and contributors will be invited to attend the premiere.
Also, as Sainsbury’s are sponsoring the project, we are able to offer a little incentive. If your footage is included in the finished film you will receive £200 in Sainsbury’s vouchers.

I can’t wait to see your footage.
Kevin
Further information is available at http://www.christmasinaday.co.uk
Or e mail crodrigues@rsafilms.co.uk