AMPS 2012

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
ned c

AMPS 2012

Post by ned c »

The American International Film & Video Festival is now open for entries. In common with many n-c (amateur) Festivals we face a problem of surviving due to the difficulty of getting administrators and judges. We are reviewing our future options beyond this year.

ned c
Dave Watterson

Re: AMPS 2012

Post by Dave Watterson »

You can find details of the AMPS - American International Film & Video Festival - on the IAC website. Click Events and choose "Competitions and Festivals".
Or visit http://www.ampsvideo.com
fraught

Post by fraught »

I entered the AIFVF last year... haven't heard anything. Any news Ned?
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Willy

Post by Willy »

Hello Ned,
Also my friend René Van Vaerenbergh from Belgium entered a film last year.
That's what he told me. Could you send a private message to me? Maybe something went wrong.
René, I myself and I am sure also other Forum-friends have very good memories of the Festival organised by the American Motion Picture Society.
Willy Van der Linden
ned c

Post by ned c »

To Fraught; Willy and the other entrants to the AMPS Festival (American International Film & Video Festival).

2012/2013 has been a very difficult time for AMPS; the major problem has been finding people qualified and willing to be judges with the time available to devote to the viewing and providing the comments. We do hope that within the next weeks we will have a resolution to this problem The lack of updates is due to our expecting results on a number of occasions. Apologies to all who have entered.

We are currently trying to find a new home for AMPS and the Festivals; we are moderately optimistic but there will be no Festivals this year (2013) sadly breaking a long running continuity. The annual get together's for the Festivals were an important part of their attraction but as accommodation and travel became more expensive in a difficult economy attendance fell and the Festival events could not be sustained.

The amateur scene has almost ceased to exist here in the USA and it seems that Canada have experienced the same problem as their long running Festivals were not held this year. It is difficult to define exactly why this has happened but there are probably no more than 5 or 6 clubs left here and most of them are experiencing survival problems.

I will post news of any developments. ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

That's very sad Ned but also quite amazing given your population and it's relative affluence. Everywhere we travel we see hoards of people waving (literally!) video cameras around, what do they all do with their footage? Judging by the numbers of entries into the dozens of film festivals all over North America there are people making films of all genres, and they're not all professionals relying on that for their living. Some of these festivals, to which I have entered films in recent years had thousands of entries. The film makers are, I suspect, mostly youngsters, and it is these people that we should be trying to attract to our own festivals. They may not fancy the 'club' scene but it still would be good to make some sort of contact with them. Do you see these people at all in your filming activities in Colorado?
ned c

Post by ned c »

Michael; I have given an answer to your question under the Club postings.

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

THE AMPS (actually AIFVF - American International Film & Video Festival) results are now online at http://www.ampsvideo.com

Congratulations to Utah's Shaun Lebreque, whose film Present from the Past took the top award and Best Story. It will be at BIAFF on Sunday where it won a Diamond and Best Story.

British film makers did very well:

Ron Prosser's Letters from the Front took second place. That was a BIAFF 2010 Diamond & Best Sound winner and a Bronze Medal at UNICA 2010.
Clive Hand's Freedom is not Free won third-equal, Best Documentary and Best Photography. That too you can see at BIAFF on Saturday afternoon.
Mark Rigler's 100,000 Starlings shares that third place and won the award for Best by a new AMPS member.
Eddy Saint's A Visit to Bolam Church won Best by an AMPS member
Ian Woodward's Silly Robin won Best Editing

Well done to all of you!