Re: BIAFF 2012 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

And I'm pretty sure there was a (Belgian?) entry in the 2010 BIAFF that - to avoid subtitles - was refilmed in its entirety to make a second version with all the actors speaking English. About a policeman hunting a stalker / killer.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Of course Willy is a foreigner, I bet he doesn't understand the LBW law in cricket, that's my yardstick for foreigners - I married one!

Seriously though, the question of making your films understandable in other countries is important for us. I think that if the words are spoken as narration the answer is obvious - make a separate track spoken in the required language. You can do as is common practice on TV, keep the original track audible but fade it down after a few seconds at the front. The good documentary The Hole, that we saw at BIAFF could easily have been improved in this way. There was very little spoken on camera and even that could have been dealt with in this manner. Drama is a different matter but I'm still not sure if dubbing might not be the best option, then we could concentrate on looking at the visuals at the same time as listening to the words.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Dave Watterson wrote: The sound system, especially in the main cinema, was outstanding. I believe it was the result of some serious "networking" with musicians to borrow loudspeakers and the technical team from Bournemouth working their magic with sound analysers and equalisers.
Totally agree with you on this Dave, me and my friends said that our film have not looked or sounded better! Very impressed! If that quality can be maintained... then film makers are in for a real treat! :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Willy

Post by Willy »

Youngest filmmakers
Yes, there were no complaints about sound and picture quality. The projections were excellent. My films were shown in "Jeunet" and "Spielberg". I couldn't see the films made by the youngest filmmakers as my "Iter ad Paradisum" was being screened in an other room at that time. That's a pity! Did I miss something? The audience had to choose between the youngsters and the old Belgians in "Jeunet" (joking). There were still quite a lot of people to see my film. I was very happy with it.

Silly Robin
My wife was impressed by "Silly Robin" (Ian Woodward). Indeed, a very entertaining film. Not the most impressive one, but a pleasant one. It's amazing that robins are eager to be filmed in the UK. In Belgium they fly away! You need a special lens to "catch" them with your camera. In England they come and sit on your hands to eat. Once I filmed one on the isle of Tresco (Isles of Scilly). The robin wanted to enter the eye of my camera!

Your Painter
Of course I also enjoyed your "Painter", Michael. Length : 30 minutes. Fantastic how the painter was talking. Very spontanuously. They always do in your films. Also in "Hounds and Huntsmen" for instance. People feel at ease when they are with you. That's clear. That's very important. The painter was very enthusiastic. When they see me they must think : "Oh, that must be a very serious old school teacher!". They fear me (the first minutes). Actually, your painter couldn't stop talking. The result : people may think (again) that your film is a bit too long.

My Painter
Last year I also made a film about a painter : "I Am Who I Am". 14 minutes. When I walked around with my painter she couldn't stop talking either. Each painting was a long story. I asked her to say everything in a few sentences, in a more compact way, and to learn everything by heart. Result : good for a wide audience, but the chat was not spontanuous. You could feel it. Also because she is not the best actress.

I think we must do some rehearsals before doing the camera work. In that case we have a good chance that the "performance" of the actor (painter or anyone else) is short and spontanuous. Don't you think so?
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

No Willy, I certainly don't agree. I never rehearse my speakers, that destroys all the impression I'm trying to create. I just indicate briefly the sort of things I want them to talk about and let them get on with it. I don't care how long they talk for or how many 'fluffs' there are, it can all be taken care of in the edit. I generally film my subjects at a time when I'm well in to shooting the film so they are used to me and the camera and are therefore more relaxed. It is a gamble because not everyone is good on camera in which case I'd either not do the film or try and handle it another way.
Willy

Post by Willy »

We are in the same boat!
You don't agree with you, but I agree with you, Michael. You never rehearse your speakers because otherwise it may destroy all the impression that you are trying to create. That is the big advantage. That makes your documentaries so impressive. But maybe the only disadvantage is the length of the film. Actually we are in the same boat, Michael. "Two Men in a Boat"!. You know that. We have already had discussions about duration of film. I remember that you suggested to shorten my film "Say Wensleydale Cheese!" by deleting the scene in the tent (introduction of film). Maybe it was in a private message. We are friends, aren't we? At first I thought :That's a good idea! But afterwards I changed my mind again.

Pillow with mickey mouse and book about "The Tudors"
You were not the only one who said so about shortening my film. I mean about deleting the scene in the tent. However in the tent my male actor is sleeping on a pillow with a mickey mouse design on it. Next to his wife lies a book about "The Tudors". I did this to illustrate the different mentality of the two main actors. In the film David only wants to visit a brewery. Anita wants to visit castles and museums. But of course this is an other problem. "Say Wensleydale Cheese!" is not a documentary like yours about a painter.

Length of films
However, the big problem at festivals and competitions is the length of the films. More than ever I realize, Michael. that people want to see short and powerful films and not epic stories. After having seen short films they are not so eager to watch long documentaries anymore. That's what I fear. Also my wife sometimes says : stop making such long films. Is she a good adviser? I think she is.

I hope there is no misunderstanding, Michael. My painter is not better than yours! On the contrary! I give yours 80%. Mine 69%. I am just thinking about creating spontaneity and brevity at the same time.

Something more about rehearsing: Last year I was interviewed by our local TV. The lady asked some questions. She asked her colleague not to record the interview yet. A few minutes later, after the "rehearsal", she asked the same questions. They started to record everything. I already felt easier. The ice was broken.

With a smile
I also used this system when interviewing the coppersmith in Guernsey some years ago. I asked him some questions. He seemed to be a bit nervous. After 4 or 5 questions he was speaking in a more relaxed way. Then I apologized and asked him if I could ask questions 1 to 3 again. Now it was OK. He talked to me with a smile on his mouth. I think it is a matter of making a choice.

Cliché
It's possible that we are not talking about results (see theme this thread) anymore, but it is important to know what people think about length of films at festivals after BIAFF 2012. Most friends will say : a long film is good if it is not a boring one. But that's a set phrase. A cliché.
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Willy, we may as well continue our 'private' conversation, if anyone wants to join in they are welcome.

I don't think that my 'painter' is any better than yours, in fact your lady is very articulate and I like the way the camera follows her while she speaks. As to length of films we both suffer criticism. I suppose we both enjoy assembling our productions and tend to hang on to more material than we should. Many people, both this year and last, have come up to me saying they liked the films "but.......". I'm used to it and if the opportunity arises to make a short film obviously I'll take it but I have to do what I have to do. My films are generally viewed as one off production and I rarely get complaints about length, it's when they're in a programme and the audience wants their tea or coffee that the trouble arises!
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

I hope Michael & Willy keep this going, perhaps on a new page, and that others join in. May I?
The first documentary I ever made was about a wheelwright. He froze in front of the cine camera so we taped his commentary and used it as voice over. Just as well as he had a habit of starting every sentence with some odd phrase, I can't remember what, perhaps "well, I..." or something. Every section needed that bit cut out.
I did the same with another gent. It worked OK but I gave up on trying to turn his "Tongue Hart Fern" into the nearly correct "Hart Tongue Fern". It was a very fiddly bit of tape to put back together!
With video it has been easier (not the best criterion) to use the camera to record the comments and if the person is happy and their face looks interesting the piece is used with picture but then comes the difficult bit of editing out the extraneous bits with irritating cuts dissolves, cutaways etc.
My people have had limited time to put at my disposal and repeats haven't been an option always.
I think a talking head is more interesting than voice over but usually use a bit of both.
What would Michael do?
Is The Painter on Youtube, Michael?
Peter.
Peter Copestake
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Peter, just let them talk to camera and see what you get. I don't find coaching them gets you anywhere. If you can't use the picture then at least you have voice over material. Shoot bags of cut aways (I always forget to do enough) including some long shots of him so you can't see whether it's in sync or not.

Happy to send you a BD or DVD of Painter but it's not one of my best! If you don't want to post your address mail it to me michael.slowe@btinternet.com I suppose that will trigger loads of spam, maybe not as we have to log in with a password.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Au château Bel Air
Last week I had to show some films in a cultural club. They organise all sorts of activities : going to the theatre, to a concert, showing films... What a fantastic atmosphere there was! I also showed Robert Lorrimor's "Drill" between two of my serious films. Oh, Robert, it is a pity that you were not there "au château Bel Air". The ambience was super. I hope that you don't mind that I showed your film. Filmmakers like you who can create joy in the hearts of other people deserve more than an Olympic gold medal!

In a (Belgian) filmclub the atmosphere is different. All faces are serious. Every film is watched with an eagle-eyed perception. "See if we can detect any technical mistakes" most spectators think. I don't blame them. I am also a bit "deformed" though I always try to find the good qualities of a film first. It doesn't mean that I am a good judge you know.

I'm sure that also next year I will get a new invitation from that cultural club. I hope I will find some new short and funny films like "The Drill" to enthuse the audience. At BIAFF 2012 I saw some excellent ones for such an occasion, but first I would like to tell you this sad story:

One of my best students called Gert
In that cultural club I met one of my former colleagues. She said :"Hello, Willy, do you recognize me?" Of course I recognized her. We embraced each other. We talked about this and about that. About the good old times. Also about our health problems. When you are getting older... I said to her : "Gert knows that problem, doesn't he?" By Gert I meant her only son who was one of my best students about 25 years ago. After secondary education he went to university to become a family doctor. My colleague Leona was very proud of her son. Yes... she was... Now she looked at me and whispered something in my ear. I couldn't believe it. She said : Apparently you don't know what happened to Gert two years ago... He jumped into the Willebroek canal. He commited suicide!"... I told my wife Vera when I got home.

Jump
Vera said: "Imagine that you show a film like 'Jump' The one that won 5 stars at BIAFF 2012! The one that you enjoyed so much at Weymouth! OK, it has a happy end, but ... people like Leona, your former colleague, will find such a funny film awful. Yes, Vera was right. I didn't give it a moment's thought, but ... do you always have to think about these things when making or showing a film? I still find "Jump" one of the best films shown at BIAFF.
Willy Van der Linden
horsenburger

Post by horsenburger »

I just wanted to thank the judges for taking the time for the fantastic feedback for our films that we (The Hills Lower School's Cineclub) entered to BIAFF this year. The children were all very responsive to the constructive comments and advice and I really feel they have taken them on board for their next projects.

They were so very proud to have been awarded a 2 Star and a 4 Star this year and wanted me to pass on their thanks to everyone.

Hopefully if we manage to submit again next year we can bring a small party to the event.
Steve Horsley
The Hills Lower School
Willy

Post by Willy »

Horsenburger... Funny name... In Belgium we eat horse meat. Horse steak and french fries is one of our specialities.
Once I offered English schoolchildren a holiday in Belgium. On a daytrip to the French speaking part they had a cold dish with horse meat. Dear me, it was stupid of me to tell them it was horse meat!

It's good to hear that your children were very happy with the two and four stars. Also that they found the judges' comments very interesting. Mind: these are the best in the world. I mean it. Not any other international competition provides us with such excellent written comments.
Now your children want to start with new projects. What could we wish more?

Unfortunately I didn't see their films at Weymouth as my "Iter ad Paradisum" was shown in an other room at the same time. It was not one of my best films. No problem. Attracting young people ... that's what we must do ... not only in the UK. Also on the continent.

In Belgium the government doesn't want to subsidize our national and regional umbrella organisations anymore unless they organize special events for young people and non-filmmakers. Now too much money is spent on competitions for old rogues like me and you. The chairman of my club received a letter last week and told us everything. The future is not bright.
It sounds interesting : being subsidized by the Ministry of Culture, but imagine ... in times of recession... the government is short of money and ...

In the UK umbrella organisations are not subsidized. Tell me if I am wrong. The problem is : how can we close that wide gap between our generations? Sometimes I think : never give it up. Sometimes I feel desperate.

But a seperate programme like the one on Saturday at BIAFF with films made by children is a praiseworthy intiative. It's a step in the right direction, I think. It was good that they were not shown together with productions made by semi-professionals? The viewers can't always distinguish "young" films from "old" ones.

And why not a schooltrip to BIAFF in the future? Or a judging panel with schoolchildren to choose the best film of the audience? - I am thinking very hard you know...- A special proclamation for those children! Pictures are taken. Smiling young faces. Applause.

But yes, entering films for BIAFF is already fantastic. Maybe the BIAFF-certificates and awards are presented at school. That must also be very pleasant. And it's good publicity for our organization!

If I could do my career again as a teacher (my first twenty years after my studies) I would also ask my students to make films for fun and for festivals like BIAFF. At that time filmmaking was not really my hobby and only weatlhy people had a camera. Certainly not schoolchildren. We must seize the opportunity.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Willy, you can watch their 4-star film, Stay With Me, here:
http://www.thehillslowerschool.co.uk/ou ... ay-with-me

and their 2-star film, The Door, here:
http://www.thehillslowerschool.co.uk/ou ... s/the-door
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

A further thought for Mr. Horsenburger and everyone else ...

http://www.letnaturefeedyoursenses.org/ ... imateit.eb
tells you about a new, fun competition to create one-minute simple animations on the theme of the countryside. They even supply a whole gaggle of sounds for you to use.

It could keep a class on 9-year-olds busy! There are prizes for different age-ranges of entrant so your youngsters would not be up against people like Michael Slowe, Norman Lilley or Colin Jones. I nearly said Willy, but alas this contest is for British nationals only. Not even a devoted anglophile from Belgium can join in.

Fraught - have a go, but keep it U-certificate!
Peter - try it as a change from full-blown documentary features.
Tom - maybe you could do a farmyard wedding!

Let's give them an all-out IAC onslaught ...