SARNIA SHORTS (The successor to Guernsey Lily)

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
fraught

Re: SARNIA SHORTS (The successor to Guernsey Lily)

Post by fraught »

Very happy to hear the my film '8 Ball' has won Best Script at this years Sarnia Shorts. :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Is anyone from mainland Britain planning to attend the Sarnia Shorts screenings?

Getting to Guernsey is not cheap. Channel Islands own airway, Aurigny, is usually the best price for flights. East Midlands to Guernsey return £177.
Ferries are around £107 return from Portsmouth.
To take in the whole festival you need to get there before 7.30pm on Friday and leave after 10pm on Sunday, so in effect travel back on Monday 22nd. That means two working days being involved.
You need to find a hotel - there are a couple within 15 minutes walk of the venue but three nights will set you back around £240 b&b.
Festival ticket is a bargain £15 for the whole bash.
That just leaves your eating options. The timetable allows one hour for lunch and 90 minutes for evening meal ... and there is no info easily available on local eateries. The venue has a bar but whether it serves more than crisps and peanuts is not explained.

You can do things more cheaply but that would mean depending on early and late local buses or taxis to get from cheaper lodgings to the venue.

If you can build in a couple of days holiday on the island, then a little decent weather makes it a great place to go walking or photographing. In poor weather you can start your Christmas shopping.

I just have a feeling that the event may become purely one for people living in Guernsey and traditionally they have not supported the Guernsey Lily festival very strongly.

Dave
FredD

Post by FredD »

God... you're a boring fart Watterson ! No wonder this forum doesn't have a lot of support ! :roll:
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Ah yes, but underneath I am very loveable.
fraught

Post by fraught »

LOL... Dave IS very lovable and very supportive. Wouldn't have him any other way. :)
FredD

Post by FredD »

Well.. I suppose someone must love him.. :wink:

By the way .. Excellent film fraught, thankyou ! :)

Fred
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
fraught

Post by fraught »

:)

Cheers Fred, glad you like it. :)
Willy

Post by Willy »

Congratulations, Fraught!
The Belgians have not been successful.
Now I hope we will receive the judges' comments.

Yes, going to Guernsey is very expensive, Dave. You are right. Condor Ferries are even more expensive.
But Guernsey is a lovely island. I love Sark most.

In the course of the last decades quite a lot of British and Continental friends attended the Guernsey Lily International Film Festival. Thanks to the enthusiasm of the organisers. Also thanks to the judges who wrote fantastic reports. The Lily was the friendliest international film festival in Britain.

Hopefully I will be able to go back to Guernsey next year. Making the film "Guernsey, I Love You" together with Mary and Peter Rouillard was a great experience.

Last week I met René Van Vaerenbergh, one of the Belgian winners. When are we going back, he asked me. Once I was there together with Urbain Appeltans, Samuel Faict, Toshi Sakurai, Etienne Maes, René Van Vaerenbergh, Werner Van den Bulck ... Those were the days... La Vilette Hotel, Sausmarez Manor, la Barberie Hotel, B&B Bel Air, ... Sorry, I always suffer from nostaligia.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I don't suppose it will come us a great surprise, but I have just had confirmation that there will be no Sarnia Shorts festival this year (2013).

So far as I can see there has been nothing on their Facebook or website pages to indicate this. At least one film maker who had entered a film for the competition has not ben told.

We must be grateful that Wynter tried to continue a film festival after the demise of the Guernsey Lily ... but poor communications seem to have dogged the project.
fraught

Post by fraught »

This is sad news. I hope they are able to sort something out.