IAC North West Festival Results

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

IAC North West Festival Results

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I have just got back from Cheadle Hulme where we were presenting many of the entries in the 2011 Festival, which we judged at home in the previous fortnight. The lovely theatre was nearly full by the end with a great bunch of people enjoying a selection of the films that had been entered. Jan and I took turns standing up between films to talk about any general issues arising from them and in many cases the film makers agreed to be interviewed for a few minutes. That was a huge pleasure for all of us.

The results were:

Commended:
LYTHAM HALL by Peter and Daphne Copestake
Highly Commended:
HONEYPIE by Tommy O’Connor
Very Highly Commended:
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE OF A FILM CLUB by Preston Movie Makers

BEST SOUND - THE GREEN DRESS by Carl Brandwood
BEST ACTING – Garry Hayden in Daylight by Rochdale Movie Makers
BEST TITLES/GRAPHICS – A DEADLY ENCOUNTER by Les Holloway
BEST EDITING – TEARING WINGS OFF BUTTERFLIES by Paul Bagshaw
BEST SCRIPT/STORY – PRELUDE TO MACBETH by James Chalmers
BEST DOCUMENTARY – THE DIG ON THE GREEN by Cheadle and Gatley Film Makers
THE RHYL CUP – FREE by Rochdale Movie Makers
NORTH WEST TROPHY SHIELD – THE GREEN DRESS by Carl Brandwood
BEST FILM OF BOTH COMPETITIONS – FREE by Rochdale Movie Makers
AUDIENCE VOTE FOR BEST FILM – FREE by Rochdale Movie Makers

Good films, fine food and lovely people - including a group who came over from Northern Ireland (!)
Willy

Re: IAC North West Festival Results

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:Jan and I have just got back from Cheadle Hulme where we were presenting many of the entries in the 2011 Festival, which we judged at home in the previous fortnight.
Very Highly Commended:
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE OF A FILM CLUB by Preston Movie Makers
BEST EDITING – TEARING WINGS OFF BUTTERFLIES by Paul Bagshaw
Congratulations to all winners and participants!

I am very happy to hear that the Preston Movie Makers have won the certificate "Very Highly Commended". I am a honorary member of that club. I was invited by the PMM in 2007. I was the only judge for the Mersey Ten Competition. The proclamation took place in Preston.

What a fantastic experience it was! I showed the 24 films in my two Belgian clubs. Actually all my clubmates were judges at that time. They enjoyed the entries of that competition very much. I took the decision myself, but I felt much better knowing that my clubmates shared my feelings. In Preston the audience did not throw tomatoes at me. That was quite a relief!

Winner of the Mersey Ten Competition was "Head in the Sands", a film made by Paul Bagshaw. I didn't/don't know Paul at all, but I saw his name in lists with results of festivals or competitions that took place the following years.

There is always quite a lot of emotion in Paul's films. I still remember the story of his fiction film "Head in the Sands" very well. And also the photography in it! Paul is a great filmmaker! That's for sure. Congratulations again, Paul. The title of your film "Tearing Wings off Butterflies"... That must be cruel! Hopefully I get the opportunity to see your film very soon.

I will never forget the hospitality of Jim and his team of the Preston Movie Makersin 2007. The night before the Mersey Ten Proclamation I could show some of my own films in this club. I stayed with Geoff Harisson and his wife Valrie and since then we have met a few times, also to make the film "Say Wensleydale Cheese!". I know that the Preston Movie Makers will celebrate their 50th anniversay next year. So in 2012. My best wishes, English friends of the North West. Willy
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Nice to see Willy that you are still in 'good voice', we haven't heard from you in a while. By the way, how about a greeting to your friends in the South of England as well!
Willy

Post by Willy »

[quote="Michael Slowe"]Nice to see Willy that you are still in 'good voice', we haven't heard from you in a while. By the way, how about a greeting to your friends in the South of England as well!

Many thanks for your kind words, Michael.
My voice is good ... Unfortunately my legs are not at this moment.
Next Monday I know more.

Some months ago I met Ron Prosser, our IAC Chairman, and some of the Haywards Heath Movie Makers. They visited an Antwerp club. We talked about everything. Also about showing my films in their club one day. Of course that's something that I would like to do. Maybe one day I will spend some few days in the South of England (Kent, East Sussex) again and then I can show my films and talk about them.

"When you are tired of London, you are tired of life!"
I remember that you live in one of the suburbs of London. I have not forgotten that you are an Arsenal football fan. Thomas Vermaelen, our sympathetic Belgian player, is an Arsenal defender. Just like Manchester City's Vincent Kompany. That's one of the reasons why I always hope that they win a match.

How many times have I already been in London? Only as a teacher already exactly 25 times. My students enjoyed their trips to London very much. They are now in their thirties or forties and when I meet them they remind me of those memorable days. That gives me a very positive feeling.

I hope that I will soon be able to go back to London or the South of England. I enjoy London's cosmopolitan atmosphere very much and also its fantastic shows. "The Black and White Ministrel Show" (in the 70-s), Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, The Sound of Music, Cats ... Also the play "The Mousetrap" ...

I only wonder if it is possible to make a film about London. For instance I wonder if we are allowed to walk down the streets of London with a tripod and to film the horse guards in Whitehall and other things. I have read the very interesting letter written by Chief Constable Andrew Trotter for "Film and Video Maker". That is already good news. Anyway, making a special film about London is only a dream.

But I would already be happy if I could go back for other reasons or just to enjoy the special atmosphere : walking down the City and seeing all those gentlemen wearing a black suit and a bowler hat, walking in Soho and smelling the Chinese food, looking at the fascinating adverts in Piccadilly Circus, ... "When you are tired of London, you are tired of life" an English author said once. I have forgotten his name. Help me! Samuel Johnson? Maybe the black suits and bowler hats have disappeared now, but the English policemen or bobbies are still there. And also the red double decker buses? An Englishman, and a Londoner in particular, doesn't feel the charm of its own country or city I always wonder.

To be honest : I have some physical problems at the moment, but I hope I will recover very soon. That was one of the reasons why I didn't attend Unica in Luxembourg this year. Luxembourg City is only a short trip by car. Now I am trying to spend my time on writing stories for films, on making one minute movies and on editing two "serious" films for BIAFF. I know that 20th December is the first deadline.

Maybe we'll meet in London one day, Michael. By Eurostar it only takes two hours and a half to get to St.Pancrass I think.
Willy Van der Linden