The Seoul World Short Film & Video Festival 2011

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Ian Woodward

The Seoul World Short Film & Video Festival 2011

Post by Ian Woodward »

Congratulations, Willy (Van der Linden) on winning the Silver Medal at this year’s Seoul World Short Film and Video Festival for your film Say Wensleydale Cheese.

I look forward to seeing the film one day as it is set in a part of Yorkshire from which one half of my family hails. I’ve visited the area with continued pleasure for most of my life, not least for the richness of its wildlife and the magnificance of its natural vistas, and I’ll be up there again with my wife (the Finance Director) in late July

I was pleased beyond words to win the 2011 Korean festival’s Best Photography prize for my film From Bohemia’s Woods and Fields.

Ian Woodward
Willy

Re: The Seoul World Short Film & Video Festival 2011

Post by Willy »

Many thanks for your very kind words, Ian, and also congratulations to you. Your "From Bohemia's Woods and the Fields" was one of the top films at the Seoul World Short Film & Video Festival. Also other IAC-friends like Peter Rouillard, Rolf Mandolesi, etc... had a fantastic result with their films. Hopefully I have not forgotten any other names.

Anglo-Belgian film
I would like to take the opportunity to extend a word of thanks to all my British friends who made a contribution to the film "Say Wensleydale Cheese". Geoff Harrison and his friends for instance and also Carol and Ken Wilson.

Actually I entered this film at the South Korean Festival because I was a bit disappointed with my result at the regional competition in Belgium. My film was not selected for the National Festival in October. The first time that it happened in 15 years. Two organisers (father and son) who also entered a film were more successful. I am sure that at BIAFF they would have received not more than one star. After the regional competition and after having received their awards (a voucher worth 25 euros, medals, etc...) they resigned... ! The new "Board of Governors" even thought of re-organising the regional competition! Also the Belgian IAC (CvB) were very disappointed and they made new rules for the future. There will be an alternative possibility to have your film selected in 2012 and the following years. As you can see in Belgium the results of the regional competition are crucial if you would also like to take part in the national competition.

The IAC-website
So I found information about the Seoul World Short Film & Video Festival on the IAC-website ("Events"). I wondered what people in a different country would think about the Wensleydale film. I had just enough time to send my Cheese-film to South Korea. So my thanks are also for the IAC-webmaster Jan Watterson. There isn't any website that is better than the IAC-one.

In Paradisum
Last week the postman delivered a cardboard box with a silver medal and a diploma in it. A text said : "Say Wensleydale Cheese" sketched a tourist site and a famous cheese factory in a witty and funny manner ..." Of course I am happy that the South Koreans enjoyed my film. I realize that my film will not be successful at all festivals, but I already feel that I am in paradise. Now I am focusing on my next film "In Paradisum", a documentary about one of my former clubmates who stopped making films and who became an artist. He couldn't come to our club anymore because he had to get up too early in the morning. The main theme of his paintings is "heaven". He lost his son in a car accident exactly ten years ago.
Willy Van der Linden