DISCUSS BIAFF 2011 RESULTS

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

DISCUSS BIAFF 2011 RESULTS

Post by Dave Watterson »

The BIAFF results are starting to arrive this week. Once there has been time for all the film makers to receive them, we will get a complete set to post on the IAC website - probably next week.

But what do entrants think about their rating and comments? Obviously it is better not to say that judge XXX was crap!

Dave
Michael Slowe

Re: DISCUSS BIAFF 2011 RESULTS

Post by Michael Slowe »

I never complain about judges or their comments, that to me is the height of arrogance. We submit our films in the knowledge that they are up for judgement and that we will accept the verdict. Actually I got the grade I thought I would get (5 Whatsits) plus two bits I didn't expect. As to the comments, well pretty well spot on I thought. Long judgements they were too, one from the first panel and another from the final one. They were particularly perceptive and well thought through and gave me one or two insights that are really helpful, not always the case when there are so many films to review.
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

Really, really happy with my result as well as the feedback about my entry 'Dancer.' It's made my week!

Also, a huge thank you to Dave for the feedback you posted to me last week in regards to AMPS. It is bar none the most constructive and intelligently written feedback I have ever received from a festival. We all worked really hard on 'Dancer' so getting 6 pages of comments is a real bonus. The cast, crew & I really appreciate the time you took to watch our little film and respond to it such a detailed way. 'Dancer' was made taking into account the feedback we had from 'Commitment' at BIAFF 3 years previous. Just putting the finishing touches on my new short 'Three' so if you have a spare moment please have a look (WARNING - 1 use of the f word in this trailer!) : http://www.vimeo.com/20511187
fraught

Post by fraught »

Well done James on your result! Awesome news!

I didn't do too badly. I entered 4 films with 2 walking away with 4 stars, 1 with 3 Stars and 1 with 2 Stars.

The 4's and 3's i thought were spot on, maybe one of the 4's i thought might do a little better. But i did disagree with the 2-Star award. But i shan't moan!!! The film has been well received elsewhere, you can't please everyone! ;-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
ned c

Post by ned c »

"nest egg..golden egg" by the Space Between, 4 stars very fair we feel and good comments; thanks. This was one of last year's winners of our script writing contest a second production just starting and this year's contest now advertised.

Thanks

ned c
ned c

Post by ned c »

p.s. If you are interested in how we run the script writing contest have a look at www.tsbtc.org I would like to claim it is an original idea but we got it from the Finchley club who ran a contest one year in conjunction with a local town.

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

An update on the results ... this weekend 12/13th March the final sets of results are being mailed out - mainly those to overseas entrants. We hope to have the full results on the IAC website by the end of this week.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:The BIAFF results are starting to arrive this week.
But what do entrants think about their rating and comments? Obviously it is better not to say that judge XXX was crap!
Dave
Complaining and moaning
So Dave asks us what we think about the comments. Luckily I don't have any reasons to complain about the rating (twice 4 stars) and the judges' comments. "Arrogance"... that word sounds a bit strong to my Dutch ears, Michael, but I understand what you mean. In my opinion it would be acceptable to complain, but only in a decent and elegant way. Complaining means : showing your feelings of unhappiness. If you can control your emotions, then I am not against complaining. But on a friendly forum like this one it may escalate. That's very risky. I remember the discussion about a Canadian award winning film some years ago. What a discussion it was! Unfortunately we didn't see a new film made by that filmmaker.

I have a good friend who wears his heart on his sleeve. I respect his character, but I don't like people who are moaning all the time.

In the Mersey Ten Competition the regional chairman at that time (not the present chairman) didn't agree with the ratings. He told the audience. That was not a pleasant moment for me because I was the only judge. However, I had also asked about 40 Belgian clubmates to evaluate the 24 films, this to feel more comfortable when leaving for the Northwest region. But in Preston I felt a bit uneasy when the very important man told the audience what he thought about the results I had given. It doesn't mean that I had any sleepless nights after the Mersey Ten Competition. I had accepted the role of being the only judge.

After all, in the first place we must respect the judges. As Michael says we must always accept the verdict when want to compete in a festival like BIAFF. A film festival is a competition and a feast at the same time.

BIAFF style of judging comments is sublime.
Again the BIAFF-reports were sublime. One sentence was very useful : "Although the narrative was engaging, three concerns sprung to mind when watching the film...." In particular the second one was very interesting.

Tattoo
I had made a tattoo on the arms of my asylum seeker, the main actor, but I had only used a pink fluorescent felt pen. My asylum seeker was an African with a dark skin. As I intended to take a close up of the carvings on the young man's arm for my film I had to use a special fluorescent colour. First I tried with a blue pen, but you couldn't read the names on his arm. Blue on black is not clear. But to be honest : my tattoos in pink didn't look very natural. I was not happy with it. Unfortunately I couldn't change it anymore as my film crew had already arrived. I was in a hurry. A moment of stress. The BIAFF-judging panel also noticed my lack of preparation. "The carvings on the young man's arm showed a lack of preparation", they said. Indeed, I didn't take enough time to imitate a real tattoo on a black arm.

No signs of hope!
Also the third remark was very useful : "We (the three judges) would like to have seen some signs of hope for the asylum seeker at the end of the film." Again I agree with this. It could have made the end of my film much better. Now I know that preparing a feature film is very difficult. Every detail is important to evoke the right feelings.

Judges cannot be missed and who is willing to do this job nowadays ? BIAFF 2011 is another good and fascinating experience. I am looking forward to attending the festival now, but my wife is also looking forward to making a day trip in the Dales and having a nice cup of English tea and a delicious scone with jam and cream.
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Willy, you are probably as well qualified to judge as those judging your films, that's really my point. It is of course useful to have comments from your peers (it means equals) but you and I are quite aware of any faults that may be pointed out in written criticisms. We may not do very much about them for many reasons, including the one you outline in your latest case. My own film, although it did quite well, was judged to be lacking a satisfactory structure. This I accept and was aware of whilst I was constructing it, there were reasons for me proceeding as I did and I attempt to explain this in an article which I hope Garth will be including in the next issue of the magazine.

On a personal note Willy, I'm so sorry to be missing you at Harrogate but a family occasion keeps me away this year. Let's both hope that we are spared another year and able to meet in 2012!
Storyteller

Post by Storyteller »

I was quite pleased with a 2 stars award. For a first submission to any film competition, and a film in which I had found a few technical flaws (unsharp focus in a few shots, mainly) when I was editing (and too late to reshoot), I think I did well to get that many. I was most keen to receive the critique, because when one works alone one doesn't get much feedback or advice, and usually never any of a technical nature. I learned a lot about being more careful over focus and white balance (which I hadn't noticed!), which I hope I've put into practice with a short film made this year for another competition.

It was slightly amusing to realise that the judges assumed that there was more than one person behind the camera: I wish! I wish there was a camera operator and someone to hold the mic boom and someone else, all to "report to the Director" who can therefore concentrate on getting the best from his/her actors and thinking about the best shots. Already I know that if I could reshoot last year's film, I would do so somewhat differently.

But on the whole, I was pleased with the outcome. My wife and I will be attending the Festival in Harrogate next month, and I hope I'll have a film to submit to the competition next year. (One with fewer faults!! :? )

Peter
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Great - what a positive attitude.

Come and say hello at Harrogate - you should recognise me from my picture here ... and the fact that I am 6 foot 4 inches tall (around 1.94 metres)

Dave
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The BIAFF results were posted online at midday today. As usual the pages will develop as film makers send us articles about their movie, we track down more of the entries online and so on.

The timetable for BIAFF screenings should go online in a couple of hours so that those coming to Harrogate can start to plan their personal schedule.

Dave
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Thanks Dave, but can I just point out a slight error, you have a "C" by my film when It should be an "I" - individual rather than a club film.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks for pointing that out, Michael. I apologise - a simple slip of the brain on my part. It is now corrected.

If anyone spots any other mistakes - or has details of a website associated with a film, of a version of the film online - please do let us know. Jan and I have been trying to get things right but it is all too easy for us to miss something.

Dave
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Browsing through the results I was struck by the relatively low number of 5 star and diamond awards this year with just 9 - 5 star films as opposed to 14 last year and only 6 diamond awards compared to 8 in 2010. I wonder if this reflects a general drop in quality, fewer films entered of this standard or was the judging stricter this year?
Brian Saberton