Sky Transmission

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Michael Slowe

Sky Transmission

Post by Michael Slowe »

Just a brief note that one of my films "The Leader of the Pack" is being aired by Sky Channel 280 (Horse & Country) on Monday 10th January at 8.30 pm, at least that's what I have been advised! I don't know how widely the channel is available but when they broadcast one of my other films before Christmas people complained that I hadn't told them so there you go.
Dave Watterson

Re: Sky Transmission

Post by Dave Watterson »

Some of their material is viewable on their website http://www.horseandcountry.tv/videothough I do not know if Michael's work will appear that way.
Dave
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes Dave, it is on their site for a while anyway and the link is http://www.horseandcountry.tv/episode/leader-pack
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It comes over very well, Michael.

I have had the pleasure of seeing the film projected several times at festivals, but anyone who has not should grab this chance. Shot with Michael's usual, impeccable style it features a fascinating man whose approach to training dogs is a long way from Barbara Woodhouse.

Dave
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I'm no dog lover but I watched this film happily from start to finish. A great mix of interviews, training, classes, park runs and wonderful to see the dogs obvious love for their trainer.

Not your usual editing style though, is it Michael? And those eye-watering Moiré patterns on that girl's top - is it like that on your DVD?

Can you tell us more about the making of the film? Who it was made for, how many months in the making and so on? Is it entered in BIAFF?

tom.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes Tom, I thought it looks OK picture wise, all they wanted was a DVCAM master, the broadcast apparently looks good too, I didn't see it. Actually it is in my new 'post impressionist' style! I'm making more documentaries now rather than cut to music impressions and the editing consequently is less hectic.

It was in BIAFF a couple of years ago now, can't remember what it got, 4 or 5 I think, Dave will know. I made it because I thought the character was interesting and it was local. It was my first one on the EX1 but in HDV mode rather than full HD because my edit system at the time wasn't up to handling the HD from the Sony S X S cards as it now is. The shoot took about three months as did the edit, as you know I like to take my time. I think I've got a better one now though, just finished, but maybe more controversial. The TV channel may show that later.

To be honest I can't let patterns influence what I'm shooting, it's hard enough to get the stuff. I do find though that DVD's encoded with BitVice now deal with things so much better than it did but I'm now putting all my current HD on to Blu-Ray which helps enormously. Stand alone Lacie BD burner, into the MacPro through USB2 and encoding and burning with Toast 10 (with BD plug in) - brilliant.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

BIAFF 2009 - 4-stars
Guernsey Lily 2009 - Very Highly Commended
North Thames Regional Trophy
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Thanks Dave, you are the font of all (well, nearly all) knowledge.