The Guernsey Lily Festival 2010

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Dave Watterson

The Guernsey Lily Festival 2010

Post by Dave Watterson »

We have just returned from another excellent festival on Guernsey. Great people, fine food and super films ... but all tinged with sadness since this might be the last Guernsey Lily.

The island politicians who attended and the redoubtable Joan Ozanne declared they would try to obtain more support from the States (the island's government) ... but since Peter and Mary Rouillard have made it clear they are standing down, the even bigger question is who might organise and run the festival even if it can be funded. If its unique character is lost it will take some years to re-establish its position as one of the best world events for our kind of movie making.

For 19 years it has offered a welcome addition to LAFF/BIAFF and later to the Cotswold Festival. Good as BIAFF is, film makers should have an alternative contest. For those of us who enjoy going to festivals, the Guernsey has been by far the friendliest - and thanks to the special local restaurant deals the most fattening festival - of all.

On the positive side it was a delight to have James Webber present so that we could talk about his film Dancer which took the top award. Many other film makers were there too - including all but one of the six "Lily" (top) award winners. Anna Kasten, maker of the moving and beautiful Rainbow Angel was there, as was Michal Stenzel one of the makers of Between the touching, humorous film which did well at the last BIAFF. To everyone's delight Belgian film maker Urbain Appeltans attended looking fit and well after many years of illness.

Ron Prosser and Linda Gough made formal thanks to all the Lily organisers, there were video greetings from around the world ... and a charming moment when Harold and Maisie Trill presented Mary and Peter Rouillard with special presents. The Trills have been long-time supporters of the event, but their most loyal supporters - who have only missed one or two festivals in its history - are the Scots contingent who received special awards!

There will be more reports on the main website soon ...

Dave
Willy

Re: The Guernsey Lily Festival 2010

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:We have just returned from another excellent festival on Guernsey. Great people, fine food and super films ... but all tinged with sadness since this might be the last Guernsey Lily.

Dave
Yes, that's very sad, but it is also good to hear that this Festival was a success again. It has been a long time since I sent a message on this forum but I will give you the reason later on. It has nothing to do with the Guernsey Festival.

The Guernsey Lily is/was the friendliest festival in the world ! Each time it started with "Le Vin d'Honneur" in Sausmarez Manor. A friendly word of welcome by Joan or Peter. A special atmosphere. And yes, our Scottish friends were always there. The participants were taken there by coach. Everything was organized in an excellent way. The screenings were perfect. The judges' comments were very positive. Very constructive. I remember that last year some Belgian filmmakers received 7-8-9 pages of friendly words about their entries. Once I was a judge myself and I enjoyed it very much. At the festival there was always enough time to have a chat with other filmmakers. The Tennerfest (meal deals) were super.

Guernsey has an excellent reputation in Belgium now. The last few years the festival was announced in our regional and national magazines on on our websites. I fear that the Guernsey authorities and/or politicians do not realize this. By not supporting a festival like the Lily the island will be more and more isolated !

I attended the festival about 7 times. I was there together with Urbain Appeltans, Etienne Maes, Samuel Faict (three Lily award winners), Werner Van den Bulck and other Belgian friends. Now I could not be there. To be honest I also felt exhausted after my three trips to the Yorkshire Dales in a period of 6 weeks. Unfortunately I didn't find any friend to accompany me. That was a pity because my wife Vera hates driving the car and the trip to Saint Malo is very long. The trip by plane from Dinard is much cheaper, but maybe you already know that I am afraid of flying and I fear to end up in the ocean. Moreover the "péages" in France are very expensive. The recession has struck everywhere.

I also visited the archipelago a few times, this to make the film "Guernsey, I Love You!" together with Mary and Peter. What a wonderful time we had together ! Good news, Mary and Pete : the film has won a nomination for "best acting" at the national Belgian Film Festival (CvB). It is thanks to you that we could work together with Martine, Adam and Lisa. They were great. On 12th November the winner will be announced, but it is already an honour to receive a nomination. Could you pass this message to Martine, Adam and Lisa ? Also my congratulations to you for the fantastic job you have done. In the course of these twenty or more years a lot of Belgians have taken part in the Guernsey Lily Festival. You have offered them very happy moments. Vera and I will be back very soon, even without a festival, but let's hope that the authorities will change their minds. Do I have to have a chat with the Lieutenant Governor ? He seemed to be very sympathetic. But of course I am only a little shrimp. I fear he won't listen to me.
Willy
Willy Van der Linden
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Good to hear from Willy again. I well understand that his film has exhausted him, I'm just finishing a documentary and I'm knackered and my wife has hardly seen me so tough was the edit!

On the subject of how can the Guernsey Lily be kept going without the Rouillards, even if the money is forthcoming, could not the local TV station organise it? I appreciate that the atmosphere and friendliness might not be the same but the station have taken an interest previously by running interviews. Surely it would be in their interest to promote film making and anyway they could be considered to have a responsibility to promote artistic endeavours.
Laurie Calvert

Post by Laurie Calvert »

Here is a short video of my 'video thanks' contribution to the festival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nBEwEM1b9g

Laurie
Willy

Post by Willy »

[quote="Michael

I had three entries for the Guernsey Lily this year. I received 3x3 judges'comments or 9 pages ! I don't think there is/was any international festival in the world with such friendly comments on films. I enjoyed reading them and I am sure that the other participants were also very pleased with the analysis of their film(s). Very constructive. Very positive. Unique ! Let's hope that the Lily is not wilting.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

OK - prompted by Laurie I have been struggling to put the short version of the Guernsey Lily Tributes compilation online. The problems ... well, you don't want to know. But at last there is a version for all to see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAcJaWPQgiw

Thanks to everyone who took part and especially to Laurie for feeding me the material for a running gag to lighten the mood. I know that if time had allowed me to contact even more film makers we could have had hundreds of tributes to the work of Joan Ozanne and the Rouillard clan.

There may yet be hope for the Lily to continue ... fingers crossed, thumbs squeezed and whatever other gesture you make for "good luck" ...

- Dave
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Excellent tributes!