Belgium calling

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Tony Grant

Belgium calling

Post by Tony Grant »

Hi Belgium calling,

I am sending this link for comment and critic but also with the hope you will pass it on. For the last month I have been working with Tony O’Malley to make music video.
The challenge was to produce it with out having to resort to dubbing. Every word sung is live every musical instrument heard is played on the clip.
The real problems came after Tony had made the sound mix as this meant that he used
sound bites from various takes and these had to be tied to the actual image. I think the result is exciting and fun if you also think this is the case perhaps you can pass the link on to others so they can hear and see this great English singer. Let us see if we can boost his following.

Bio
Tony with Kokomo took London by storm in 1973, culminating in a debut album, Kokomo 1, now a classic among collectors. The band was managed by Steve O’Rourke, the brains behind Pink Floyd’s success, who sadly passed away on October 30th 2003, aged 63. R.I.P. Steve.... Kokomo recorded three albums, touring the U.K., Europe and States supported their old friends The Average White Band on several tours and recorded with Bob Dylan in New York (Desire

Tony Grant or (Tone deaf as he calls me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mGcxRrIzI
Michael Slowe

Re: Belgium calling

Post by Michael Slowe »

As an old fashioned but experienced documentary film maker may I add my own personal opinion?

Brilliant piece of film making but spoilt by much too much gimmickry. All the split screens moving around distracts from (a) the music and (b) the visuals. Cutting would have been so much better in my opinion but the youngsters will probably disagree. You had loads of stuff which could have been presented by creative cutting and I could then concentrate on the one screen. You even had the monitor at one stage split into multiple frames and what on earth was the brief monochrome shot for near the end? I know music videos are meant to break new ground and arouse curiosity but in this case it isn't necessary. The camerawork is really good, the audio perfect, the performers good to look at, in fact it's wonderful stuff but oh, all the business irritates me but might well delight everyone else and will probably sell millions.

Now I'm going to get shot down in flames!
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I enjoyed this very much and think it is a very polished and accomplished production. I like the split screen technique which I thought worked well, and suited this type of subject, however I wasn't too keen on the elements that shrank to a small size and flew away - that was a little bit distracting. Great song by the way.
Brian Saberton
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

Now I'm going to get shot down in flames![/quote]

If I did not want critics I would not have posted the clip here that was the purpose of the posting. We have many more new songs and "covers" to work on. We want to create a series of music videos that promote the music and music skills
of Tony O'Malley in a different way. So critic is sort and will be listened to.

TTFN

Tone Deaf
ned c

Post by ned c »

Fine singer, fine song, excellent sound and images. However, the overload of images gets in the way of the song. This style of editing may work for a less than capable band to hide their incompetence, but with this level of musicianship let's have images that reinforce the experience not detract from it.
My two cents worth

ned c