Creation of club websites

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Arthur Bates

Creation of club websites

Post by Arthur Bates »

Hi Dave, Your article on the creation of club websites was very good and much appreciated. I particularly liked the simplicity of it. If only I had a club within reasonable travelling distance to try it out! I hope you will put it in a booklet an make it available through the IAC. Sad news from Guernsey, the competition will be sorely missed. I wonder how much cash they need, not that I am in a position to help but I feel that as much publicity as possible might find a sympathetic benefactor. Now if I can find the right button I'll send this! Arthur B.
Dave Watterson

Re: Creation of club websites

Post by Dave Watterson »

You found the right button, Arthur!

Thanks for your kind words. Peter Kidman's articles about website design will continue in Film & Video Maker (and on the IAC website) for the next few months. People who want a paper version of my step-by-step notes on building a website can download them as a pdf document by clicking:
http://www.fvi.org.uk/training/clubwebs ... ebsite.pdf
or email me on asstweb@theiac.org.uk giving me their postal address and I'll send them.

Of course the best way is to read them on the website ... especially since Peter Kidman and I will be presenting more articles both about the ideas and planning of websites and about the practical aspects of making those ideals into actual websites.

Dave

PS Anyone who wants to see the sort of result you get from the step-by-step guide should take a look at http://www.moor-movies.com an example website and for a real life example: http://chesterfieldfilmmakers.weebly.com - where Keith Slaughter kindly acted as a tester for the tutorial.
Laurie Calvert

Re: Creation of club websites

Post by Laurie Calvert »

I would like to see an article with more positives in it - show us some good web sites, and explain why they are good. But I thought Peter's article was a good start. It certainly has got the debate started.

The Chesterfield pages are good in that they show a group of happy people, and it looks an inviting club to join. All of the information was there and was short and sweet, just how it should be. I'm not sure about the coloured text but some of these things are a choice. At least the contrast was good enough that it could all be read. A nice site well put together I thought.

But the pictures need descriptions for the visually impaired (see other thread on web accessibility), and the page which listed the yearly events went up and down, then left to right. Now I think reading devices for the visually impaired will read left to right, top to bottom as we normally read, so the dates will all get muddled up for them. This may not be a big problem for their club members. I'm just using it to illustrate web accessibility.