BAD SAD NEWS - The Guernsey Lily ends this year!

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Mike Shaw

BAD SAD NEWS - The Guernsey Lily ends this year!

Post by Mike Shaw »

I've heard on the grapevine - and had confirmation from Peter - it looks like the Guernsey Lily has come to an end, because the funding from their Arts Council and other sponsors has dried up.

For me, the Lily was one of the nicest, friendliest festivals on the list - and I only managed to get there a couple of times. The standard is very high. I wish I was going this year now - I didn't because we are involved with the AGM in Worthing a week later.

Mind you - as Peter said - they can now get down to doing the things they couldn't do whilst involved in organising it.

I'm sure others - everyone - will agree with me: the Lily was a superbly organised festival, and will be sorely missed.
Michael Slowe

Re: BAD SAD NEWS - The Guernsey Lily ends this year!

Post by Michael Slowe »

I can confirm the bad news as I've heard from a very reliable source. The Lily really is a wonderful festival and I've always found the judging to be extremely accurate, I am biased since I've usually done well there! The atmosphere is always friendly yet serious about film and film making and very well organised. Such a pity that all the hard work that the Rouillard family, together with Joan Ozanne, have put in is not better supported by the Guernsey authorities or indeed the equipment and production businesses. I too can't go this year but now wish I'd managed to overcome the difficulties and arranged a visit.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

In the present financial crisis funding from all sources is being cut back.

Peter Rouillard tells me that he and Mary are not prepared to carry on running the festival if that means reducing the standards that visitors have come to expect. There is always the faint possibility that someone may offer to step in and continue - but Peter says this seems extremely unlikely.

The festival began 19 years ago because two young film makers, Richard and Peter Rouillard, wanted to see more films from the mainland. From that small wish grew an institution - thanks to the years of hard work they both put in, supported by their wives and until recently under the guidance and encouragement of Joan Ozanne.

Because Richard and Peter were constants on the judging team, Guernsey results were more consistent than in many other competitions. Film makers enjoyed having different views on their work. They have often been able to bring top winners to the island for the festival, rather than having to read out acceptances from absent authors.

Deliberately timing their event to compliment BIAFF and not to clash, the organising team have been and are strong IAC supporters.

With no Cotswold and no Morecamble Bay festivals, Britain now has only one annual international contest and festival aimed directly at non-commercial / amateur film makers: BIAFF. Good as BIAFF is, an alternate view is always desirable. Will anyone else take up the gauntlet?

-Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Sad news indeed. The world of n-c/amateur films is contracting whereas world wide Festivals are on the increase although the current economic situation may see more closures. If you want to see the sheer scale of Festivals subscribe (its free to join as a film maker) to withoutabox.
[https://www.withoutabox.com]

At AMPS we have tried to raise funding from the major suppliers without success and fund everything from within, although this is eating up our capital. The other problem we face is finding dedicated volunteers to organise/judge/report etc.

We no longer have a 'Festival' gathering here in the USA as travel expenses have risen so much.

Time for some lateral thinking; can we move the Festivals to the Internet and have everything on-line? Yes, I know about the problems of quality etc. but this would be a better alternative than nothing.

nedc (presently in England!!)
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Ned, I see that you are in England, do you have time to give me a ring, I believe you have my number and E Mail address.