you can soon

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Ian Woodward

Re: you can soon

Post by Ian Woodward »

Am I alone among IAC members using the forum who has been receiving what appears to be spam?

It hadn't yesterday on all four forums, a load of gibberish on each of them.

Nobody mentioned it yesterday, so I'll mention it now because it's happended again this morning, on all but the first forum - that is, the following, from one "tuvw708" -

"greatly shocked wow gold at the 'unlady-like gimmick,' and wondered 'how she had picked it up.' 'But you can soon crumble her wow accounts of it, Fille Hoar,' said she: 'it is only a wont; and if you leave upright gently inform wow powerleveling her every second she does so, I am certain she gift soon lay it message.' I not only 'gently reminded' her, I tried to strike upon her how condemnable it was, and how heavy to the ears of decorous group: but cheap wow gold all in vain: I was exclusive answered by a incautious laugh, and, 'Oh, Shoot Wear, how shocked you are!"

What's this all about?

Ian Woodward
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Yes, sorry, odd bits of spam come our way. As soon as Jan, Mike or I spot them we delete the person and the posts. Usually we do that before anyone notices. The latest spammer came on during the two hours I was off shopping at Morrisons this morning!

The forum joining process keeps out the scores (literally) of robot spammers which try to get on every day, but there is a group in China who use real people - presumably English-speaking students - to join up. There is no practical defence against that other than making every applicant wait for manual approval. That is frustrating if a legitimate user signs up because she or he want to make a point or ask a question immediately. We may have to move to that if the problem gets worse.

We take off two or three a day at present.

Dave (who oddly enough likes tinned spam but not the web-based kind ... )
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Ah, we learn smething new every day, Dave...I somehow thought that internet forums were immune from spam, but now I know that that's one definition of naivety.

Ian (who as a boy loved spam fritters but as an adult hates frittered spams...)