Judges critiques - a criticism!

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
JanW
Site Admin

Re: Judges critiques - a criticism!

Post by JanW »

I support your idea of providing notes on crit-writing for judges, Ned. I've often thought that a couple of real examples could help as well. I've certainly learnt a lot from reading other people's crits.
Another idea I've been mulling over is to put crits or extracts from crits on the IAC website alongside the film links, so the audience can watch the film and read a considered evaluation. (Not the 20-word flimflam that we've heard about, but something enlightening and useful.) I'm just not sure whether they would be of interest to a wider audience.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Jan, that would be a great help and on behalf of The Space Between please feel free to add the judge's comments to the "making of". If anyone wants a copy of the film go off line and let me have your address to send it to, it is NTSC SD 16:9, The Space Between are happy to send out copies. We have two winners in this year's script writing contest and hope to have both completed for the next AMPS and BIAFF.

ned c
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Jan wrote -
Another idea I've been mulling over is to put crits or extracts from crits on the IAC website alongside the film links, so the audience can watch the film and read a considered evaluation. (Not the 20-word flimflam that we've heard about, but something enlightening and useful.) I'm just not sure whether they would be of interest to a wider audience.
I do not know the width of the audience of the IAC web site but I do think this would be a good idea (indeed I think I suggested it some time ago but can't remember where). I think the film makers and the judges would have to agree but I do think it would help us all to understand what the judges look for without the irritation inherent in receiving crits of one's own productions.
Peter Copestake
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I'm now very very happy to report an excellent resolution to my first post - which started this whole thread.

I have been assured that in future, more comprehensive crits will be provided - and the organiser has offered to have my films seen again and a 'proper' judgement provided.

I said that wasn't necessary - it's good enough for me to know that, in future, entrants to that competition will be well served by the judges reports.

I don't like complaining, but in this case, I think it is a happy ending all round.

And yes - I agree that, makers and judges willing, having judgment crits associated with a film would be very useful on the IAC site, particularly for the likes of me still struggling to make anything even reasonably worthwhile and up to the very high standards I see at the major competitions.

Getting ideas is only the start...
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

As a one-time and some-time judge of amateur movies I'd be only too pleased to see my thoughts up there alongside the film in question, and if this helped the contestant and would-be contestants, then that's all to the good.
Laurie Calvert

Post by Laurie Calvert »

When I trained to be a trainer, giving balanced feedback to people was an essential quality to learn. For me how things are said are paramount, especially if it is telling someone how to improve. It is the same for feedback on films, websites, anything. That is the thing I have found most lacking in the IAC, and it is a hard skill to learn. I have had to practice my skill many times when being a trainer.

I don't envy the film judges. I did it once. I don't want to practice it anymore.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I think Laurie has hit on something here namely training. As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected) there is no scheme in place for giving potential judges some practical training on how to assess or comment on other peoples films. Wearing my other hat as an amateur stills photographer the club that I'm a member of is one of a number that are affiliated to the Glasgow District Photographic Union (GDPU). One of the services that the GDPU provides to it's member clubs is a list of recommended judges for competitions, and before you can get on the list you have to go through a short one day training programme. This concludes with a session where the potential judge has to give comments on some images so they can be assessed on their suitability before being added to the list. Of course it's fairly easy to do this in a relatively compact geographical area and perhaps some of the IAC regions already have such a scheme - I'm afraid I don't know. It would certainly be very difficult to organise on a national level. It is a thought though.
Brian Saberton
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Such a scheme sounds like an excellent idea to me - if a set of definable 'rules for assessment' can be laid down. It must never be forgotten, I guess, that judging in any field of activity is subjective - though of course, the more experience, the better the judgements will be.
Laurie Calvert

Post by Laurie Calvert »

....and the more experience/training, the better those subjective assessments will be given.

Everything depends greatly on your point of view (as Ben Kenobi once told Luke). But how it is said makes a big difference (as when Luke found out about his father being betrayed and murdered - little film reference there).