Percentage of archive footage allowed in my movie?

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Laurie Calvert

Percentage of archive footage allowed in my movie?

Post by Laurie Calvert »

What percentage of shots in my movie can be archive shots and what percentage must be mine (in order to be submitted into IAC festivals)? I seem to remember there is a 5% rule or something about using other people's material?

This discussion has been moved into the "Competitions, Festivals and the Art if Film" ... catch up with it there. - Ed.
Dave Watterson

Re: Percentage of archive footage allowed in my movie?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Oh darn!

I do apologise to Laurie and those who answered him. When I moved the topic here I somehow managed to lose most of Laurie's original question and the first two replies. I am sorry.

To answer the question at the heart of the original query: there is nothing in the IAC International competition rules specifying a percentage of "non-original" footage. Nor is a restriction mentioned in the Guernsey Lily rules. The Morecambe Bay International has a limit of 10%. You would have to check the rules for IAC Regional Competitions.

But as Willy pointed out in his reply (which I lost - mea culpa!) you must be sure you have the rights to use any archive material in your film for this purpose. And judges will always look slightly askance at such "borrowed" material unless it really is essential to your film.

Dave
Laurie Calvert

Re: Percentage of archive footage allowed in my movie?

Post by Laurie Calvert »

Thanks for all the advice.

I plan to make two versions now, one for me, and one for festivals.

I doubt I can get permission to use the % of archive material, so that version will be for me. It does add to it though because it is shots of sailors running about etc.

So for the IAC version I'll have to get inventive.

Cheers,
Laurie