HD at BIAFF 2010

A forum for sharing views on the art of film, video and AV sequence making as well as on competitions, judging and festivals.
Stephen

HD at BIAFF 2010

Post by Stephen »

The BIAFF 2010 Competition Rules state that only Blue Ray Discs are being accepted for HD entries.

Am I missing something here?

Does this mean that HD entries on DVtape or standard DVD will not be accepted?
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Dave Watterson

Re: HD at BIAFF 2010

Post by Dave Watterson »

Speaking purely personally ...

I reckon that the judging sessions are the problem.

They will mainly operate on SD, which is why anyone who does send an HD entry has to send a SD copy too. If HD viewing can be arranged with a suitable monitor or projector, then a Blu-Ray player offers a straightforward way to play them. I cannot see why HD video recorded onto a regular DVD should not also be acceptable since the same machine would play those happily.

It will be harder to organise HD tape playing ... more fiddly to playback if it is operated by someone not used to that camera and giving extra wear on the heads. I can't imagine many of us having HD tape decks.

My guess is that every effort will be made to have HD projection at BIAFF so that successful entries in that format can be seen at their best.

The sad fact is that it is still too early in the life of HD in our movement. The vast majority of entries will surely be in SD this year.

But we will try to get comment from the Competition Manager.

Dave
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

It's not easy for us all. Blu-ray burners seem to still be over £130, but HDV tapes top out at £8 (or £1 if you use ordinary tapes). So if I entered a HD movie, it would need to be on tape.

How much cash has the IAC got for a small investment on its star event?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

What do you think IAC might invest in, Billy?

Long ago IAC realised it was silly to buy kit which would only be used once a year at BIAFF or perhaps twice if it was also put to use at the AGM weekend. Where would it be stored? How transported? And crucially - how long before it was hopelessly out-of-date?

As you know IAC has depended on local clubs and individuals lending kit for use at the festivals. The only exception I can remember was in the early days of video when Syd Pearman was paid to bring along, set up and operate his large 3-gun video projector ... that being a piece of kit no one else had.

As with so many other uses ... like just sending a copy of your latest film to most clubs, relatives and friends ... I think you should rely on the SD copy (which you have to send to the IAC competition along with a Blu-Ray disc anyway.) All HD cameras can make those.

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Will the BIAFF accept 1080 60i as well as 1080 50i "Blu Ray" discs? The AVCHD discs we make are, I believe, not strictly Blu Ray, I had to download additional software to get my Sony Blu-Ray player to play my home made AVCHD discs. Anyone else experience this?

ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I have been shooting my footage in full 1920 X 1080 HD for years now but haven't made a fuss about them being shown in HD for the simple reason that even when downscaled either by my edit system (Media 100) or by the DVD encoder (BitVice) the resulting pictures were much better than they had been when I shot in DV. The modern projectors are so good these days and I have been amazed at the picture quality obtained from the films of mine that various clubs and regions have shown when they asked me to be their guest.

Probably the best solution for BIAFF 2010 would be to use the Panasonic Blu-Ray player (only £199 at John Lewis) which would show Blu-Ray discs in HD and would also UPSCALE standard DVD's and I guarantee everyone would be completely satisfied. The IAC should not get it's knickers in a twist every time new technology appears, there are always sensible solutions.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Dave Watterson wrote:What do you think IAC might invest in, Billy?

Dave
Fair enough, it's not something just to dive in lightly. I'm not familiar enough with how our star events are planned - but surely they should be presented as professionally as possible?
We do rely on our clubs and members for lending kit at festivals. I did it once, and also paid out about £100 to run a mini-cinema at Harrogate. Thankfully it went well in my case.

When Blu-ray writers and players drop in price a bit, I'll invest in this technology. Once established, I see no reason why it shouldn't last as long as VHS or miniDV.

I do feel though, that if I'm going to invest personally into making good looking HD movies, I'm not going to enter them into competitions where they will be either vandalised by shoddy projection, or will be copied to a lower definition for them to be shown. A friend of mine from Huddersfield has had his works of art destroyed in public shows by horrendous handling of his work.

But we can't assemble an array of media players once or twice a year and accept any format known to man.

Example
If we accepted for example: Blu-ray and DVD, HDV and mini DV, we'd need to have two players. How do we get what the hosting clubs can't provide? How about hiring the kit either commercially or from members? It might cost £50 per item or £50 off their package price, so you'd need say a few rooms doing HD, with a shortage of let's say 3 bits of kit - that totals £150 to provide shows where the members see movies looking their absolute best.

Michael Slowe's suggestion I fully support - if the blu-ray player was bought, it could be auctioned afterwards, keeping the cost down.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I don't think it is IAC getting its knickers in a twist ... just that relatively early adopters of the various HD systems naturally want their work seen to best advantage ... but since the necessary kit is not yet commonplace the question is how far should the national body go to make that possible.

As Ned's question reminds us there is a variety of different HD systems/files/formats.

Commercial rental of kit is certainly possible though you might have the problems of an inexperienced operator trying to make the best use of it under the stress of a festival show ... and the total rental costs including insurance, delivery and collection would have to be checked ... then added to the cost of the festival and in turn added to the ticket price.

It is not a straightforward issue. As Michael points out those who have been working in HD have been sending SD versions of their work to festivals up to now ... so is one more year such a pain?

Dave