MP3 to CD-R

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

MP3 to CD-R

Post by tom hardwick »

Hi team. I want to burn a 3 hour MP3 voice recording to CD. It's a 320 mb file so fits onto a CD just fine, but obviously it's too long to burn as an audio CD.

The mp3 file I've burnt to CD plays in my car and DVD player, but is there some way I can add 'chapter points' to the recording? I've got Audacity and I can obviously split it into 10 segments (say) and output each individually, but is there a better, faster way?
tom hardwick

Re: MP3 to CD-R

Post by tom hardwick »

Relax, I've sorted it. My Audacity is v 1.2.3 so quite old, but it does enable you to add multiple chapter points. Now I just need to find out how to delete the gaps between the tracks in my Nero burning program.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Glad you managed to get it sorted, Tom - unfortunately the British Gas engineer beat me to a reply!

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... n-audacity

Doesn't Nero have the option of adding 2 seconds between audio tracks when burning a CD-R? It's an option I've always un-ticked so it's just a case of finding the little tick box, probably under preferences somewhere :-)

John
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thank John, but I'm not making an audio CD, I'm making a data CD that contains lots of consecutive mp3 files. I'd like these to play as one long continuous track yet still give me the option to jump forward or backward to different tracks. This doesn't seem to be possible.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Tom,

Maybe Nero thinks you are making an audio CD? I've never experienced an issue with Nero adding 2 seconds in between tracks, once I had turned that option off. I too have split long mp3's into smaller ones (I used to listen to a vast collection of The Goons) and all played as one long continuous audio file with no gaps in between.

In my somewhat limited experience of Nero - I'll admit I haven't burnt a CD-R for nearly a decade - I recall it created an audio CD if I tried to add WAV or mp3 files onto it. If you're creating a Data CD then it surely only writes what you ask it to and won't add any additional information to the disc (such as gaps between tracks) which potentially interferes with the 'pure data' aspect of the information?

Sorry I can't be of more help :-)