NewProjector

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John Astin

NewProjector

Post by John Astin »

My Club is considering buying a new, reasonably-priced HD projector. I've been told by a dealer that the two "stand-out" projectors under £1K are the BenQ W2000 and the Optoma HD50. Does anyone out there have experience of either projector, or could highly recommend another in the sub-£1K price range? I'm particularly interested in how they cope with a 16:9 > 4:3 picture "switch", and how quiet they are.
Thanks, John Astin.
John Roberts

Re: NewProjector

Post by John Roberts »

Hi John,

I was particularly impressed with the projector Michael Gough brought to BIAFF 2016 at Harrogate - we used it for the AV show on the huge screen in the ballroom, but unfortunately not for the award winner's show, which we should have done. I can't comment on the format switch or quietness of the fan (simply because I was not aware of any issues) but the picture was vibrant and pin sharp. I'm fairly certain it was a BenQ projector although I don't recall the model number. Perhaps Michael can add further comment and answer your queries when he is next online :-)

John R
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

My review of the BenQ W1080ST (FVM June 2014, £790) shows I was impressed with the make and model. It's probably been superceded by now, but I'm guessing that in this day and age it's replacement is lighter, more compact, brighter, sharper and cheaper.
John Astin

Post by John Astin »

Thanks, Tom & others.
Our Club has decided not to go ahead with buying a new projector at the moment, so this discussion can be brought to a close.