complete video on SD card

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

complete video on SD card

Post by Roy1 »

Can anyone please tell me how to transfer an edited video on the time line of premiere pro 5 to an SD card which is in a Panasonic Camcorder HC-X920. My Panasonic TV is equipped with an SD card input.
John Roberts

Re: complete video on SD card

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy,

Does your editing PC not have an SD card socket? All my PCs/laptops have one so I can just treat the SD card as a normal memory card or drive. Save your project to the card as you would to any other storage device. If your PC doesn't have the necessary socket then there are plenty of USB card readers available from the usual online retailers for a few quid upwards that allow multiple card designs to be read through a USB socket; I also use one of these for occasionally transferring data from microSDHC cards from devices that don't have a USB port. Just search for 'USB SDHC card reader' for a start :-)

Good luck with getting anything to play on your Panasonic TV, mine will play back footage recorded from my camera but I have yet to find the magic setting that allows a fully edited film to play back from SDHC. My TV is a few years old though and not a 'smart' TV and I haven't really pursued the task to be honest.

It might also be worthwhile purchasing a separate SDHC card just to use for playback purposes, they're so cheap these days and you might have an issue if the card is formatted for use in your camera - adding a different 'type' of file might at best simply be ignored by the camera, but it could fool the camera into thinking that the card requires reformatting. Just a thought, sorry I can't help you further.

Good luck :-)

John
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi John. Thank you for your response. I thought a card reader was just that, it reads an SD card. I have a card reader, but have no need to use it. I can transfer the SD card in my camcorder direct to the PC. What I want to know is how to transfer the edited video from the PC to the SD card so that, if necessary, the card reader can read the edited video. If I am wrong in my assumptions please forgive my ignorance. Roy
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Hi Roy,
Yopu need to render the file in a format that your TV will understand (as John suggests, good luck with that). If you use a format that is suitable for uploading to the internet, this should work. An mp4 based on h264 should do the trick (yes it's all pretty much a black art to me too, but I get there by trial and error and Google)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Tim. Thanks for your input. OK so I've made a Meg4 H264 file, but how do I get that onto an SD card. The problem is the TV has got an SD card input but not a USB connection. All my PC's have USB connections but not an SD card connections. The reason I want to put a Completed video on an SD card is because my editing PC is in trouble. Encore no longer works and Windows 7 is corrupted and documents is no longer existing. Adobe CS5 Premiere Pro works except for making stills as pictures folder is no longer there, but of course without encore I can't make a BD disc or a DVD.
Windows will have to be re-installed as well as Adobe (hopefully) I'm not sure if Adobe will be re-activated. Hence if the worse comes to the worst I would try to use an SD card. The only other alternative I suppose is to buy a new TV which has USB connections, Expense would be to great I fear and I already have a perfectly good 50inch plasma TV. Roy
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Roy1 wrote:Hi. Tim. Thanks for your input. OK so I've made a Meg4 H264 file, but how do I get that onto an SD card. The problem is the TV has got an SD card input but not a USB connection. All my PC's have USB connections but not an SD card connections.
Roy1 wrote:Hi John. I have a card reader, but have no need to use it.
Hi Roy, you mentioned you had a card reader but no reason to use it - well now you have :D A card reader is just an interface and will allow both reading and writing to the cards that are inserted into it. Simply plug the card reader into the USB port of your computer and the SDHC card into the card reader and your computer will pick it up as an additional drive and should automatically open Windows Explorer to show you the contents of the card. The drive might be labelled 'F' or 'G' in Explorer, or there might be many 'drives' depending how many slots you have on the card reader for different types of cards. However, one will be for the SDHC card and may actually be labelled as 'SDHC'.

All you need to do then is simply copy and paste (or drag) the mp4 h264 file you have just created onto the card using Windows Explorer and that's it, assuming of course there is enough space on the card. Pop the card into the TV and... good luck! :shock:

John
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. John. Thank you so much for explaining to me the functions of a card reader. At the moment my Editing PC is away being repaired, I hope, but as soon as it's back I'll try out the card reader approach. Thanks again. Roy
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

John and Tim. I thought I would let you know that I have placed the H264 video onto an SD card and have managed to get it to play on the TV.
Unfortunately the image is quite jerky and unacceptable. There may be one of two reasons for this. 1. I've used an SD card that has been used in the camcorder , although the previous shots in camera did not display on the TV only the new video. and 2. I only rendered the video as an H264 and not Mp4 H264. I will try again with a new SD card and a new rendition as Mp4 H264.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Some success then. My suspicion is that the bit rate is too high for your TV to handle comfortably which is why you are experiencing jerkiness. I'm afraid I don't use Premiere so I'm not sure what options you have to change this.
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who regularly render from Premiere to something for playback on TV.
It may also be that the SD card slot, whilst capable of playing back video is designed more for still images.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it