Linux

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Linux

Post by Roy1 »

I have heard that Linux Mint is a far superior operating system than Window or Mac. Has anyone had any experience with Linux. Is it all that it's supporters say it is.
TimStannard

Re: Linux

Post by TimStannard »

Superior in what way?
In terms of user friendliness, OSX is probably superior (unless one comes from a Windows environment in which case it feels restrictive)
In terms of business networking, WIndows is probably superior.
In terms of readily available applications programs (and thus both readily available professional and peer support) then either of these are superior to Linux.
I'm sure there are plenty of areas in which Linux is technically superior - possibly more efficient, possibly more secure (though I'd argue this is because not so many people are trying to hack it and people using Linux are more tech savvy.
There are NLEs available for Linux and those who use them swear by them (although I do get the feeling this is mainly because they feel smug that they spend several years working how to install and use software that no-one else uses)

But ask yourself what you want to do with your operating system/programs?
Ir's like a car - do you want to drive it, tune the radio, adjust the heating, tell the satnav where you want to go or do you want to tweak the fuel injection, tighten the suspension, install a new audio system, wire in a satnav.

If you see computing as your hobby, go for it. If you see video editing, Id suggest stick with WIndows/OSx
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it