camcorder shoe

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

camcorder shoe

Post by Roy1 »

Does anyone know if there is a gadget or adapter which will raise up the shoe on a camcorder so that a sennheiser mic. can be fitted higher on top of the camcorder so that the end of the mic. does not show on the recorded image when using wide angle. I hope I have made myself clear in trying to explain my need. Any solution will be much appreciated.
John Roberts

Re: camcorder shoe

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy, try Googling 'Hot Shoe Adapter' which might give you some ideas as to the different gadgets available. A lot are priced from a few pounds upwards.

Or a cheap (i.e. small and lightweight) ball and socket tripod head should also work if you have the correct fittings. This will give you a couple of extra inches height and also allow the microphone to be pointed wherever you want. Google 'Ball And Socket Flash Holder' to get started.

Hope this helps?

John :D
ned c

Post by ned c »

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... rackt.html

I use this which hods the microphone well out to the side of the camera. It is attached at the tripod thread but a tripod can still be used.

ned c
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks John and Ned. Your advice is appreciated. I will look on the internet and find want I want. I need an adapter for a cold shoe. I already have a hot shoe adapter from B&H USA which I need to fit a mic. to work with a Sony HC3 which has no exterior mic. socket. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the Panasonic X920 which hasn't got a hot shoe connection. Just as a matter of interest I had a look at my Sennheiser MKE 300 mic yesterday and was horrified to find the wind sock had disintegrated to almost dust. I was equally horrified to see the price of a replacement foam wind sock was £37 plus postage. I'll have to see if I can make one. Thanks again.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy,

I'm familiar with the X920 shoe - it's a bit of an oddball, being separately attached to the side of the camera.

If Ned's solution doesn't work for you ...

This is available -http://www.haguecamerasupports.com/vide ... hoe-raiser but I'm not sure it will raise the mount enough.

A better bet might be http://www.haguecamerasupports.com/vide ... ra-adaptorso long as it clears the top of the camera, where you could mount your mic off to the side.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Thanks for your advice. I have ordered the single mount raiser you mention. I think it will raise the mic. high enough. I have made a temp mockup the same height of the raiser and the mic. does not appear in the recorded image. I think it only needed raising 15 mm. Anyway I'll keep fingers crossed. Thanks again.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I'll keep mine crossed too Roy. Let us know how you get on - and I guess it won't cause financial ruin if it doesn't work.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

HI. Tim. I have received the Hague shoe raiser that you recommended and I am happy to say it has worked perfectly and has solved the problem.
thanks to you again and all others who have contributed. Cheers Roy
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know, Roy.
Tim