Sony Vegas NLE's

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Sony Vegas NLE's

Post by Roy1 »

I know that several people on this forum use Sony Vegas pro and movie studio and it would be interesting to have their thoughts about the alledged demise of these programmes. The poster on DV info forums are mixed. Most say that the Vegas programmes are dead or dying and that Sony are not going to publish Vegas 14. It is claimed that no Sony rep was present at NAB 2016 who could comment one way or the other. The general opinion is that Sony are introducing CATALYST to supersede the present Vegas programmes and will be on subscription. Most posters on the forum claim that this programmes is rubbish and that they will be switching to another NLE. Others on the Forum say that Sony is waiting to fix problems with a future Vegas 14. As I have started to return to Vegas movie studio, I would like to know if it is worthwhile re-learning the use of my programme.
TimStannard

Re: Sony Vegas NLE's

Post by TimStannard »

Hi Roy, I frequent the official SonyCreativeSoftware forum and there have been similar lengthy speculative discussions.

The key thing to bear in mind is those who know cannot say, and those who say, cannot possibly know.

However, a few things I've gleaned (this is more concensus than confirmed fact).

1. It appears at least two of the Vegas team have departed from SCS in recent months
2. Catalyst Edit is not (currently) aimed at the sort of video editors like us (by which I mean people who do the whole lot editing, compositing, titling, audio mixing together and require an NLE that encompasses all of those like Vegas does. The reason posters are claiming it is rubbish is because (1) they are expecting a Vegas replacement - which it isn't and doesn't clim to be and (2) it's only just on generation 2 and developing anything to work faultlessly on a PC (with potentially millions of different combinations of parts due to it's open standards, unlike Apple) takes a lot of iterations of tests in the field.
3. Vegas is built on aging technology (Microsoft DV avi I think) and to work more efficiently with more recent codecs and formats it really needs rebuilding from the ground up. Anyone who has worked indeveloping systems, whether IT or otherwise, understands that there comes a point where the baggage of the "old" suffocates any attempt to move into the new. Whether the Catalyst suite is the first steps in this - who knows?
4. There's an online petition to keep Vegas alive or for SCS to sell it to another company who can develop it/rebuild it. But so what - online petitions mean nothing? (I've signed anyway)
5. The lack of Vegas at NAB has led to much speculation that it will be sold/withdrawn. Indeed it appears there wasn't anyone who could really talk about Catalyst and one wonders whether Sony is perhaps pulling out of the market altogether.
6. Vegas satisfies all my editing requirements (I use HitFilm now for most compositing, Tracktion for music creation, Sound Forge, Melodyne and Izotope RX for cleaning, tuning, sound and Vegas for piecing it all together and mixing) and so I see no need to worry about it until such a time as I use material that Vegas cannot edit. I also use several plug-ins specific to Vegas (eg the fantastic Neat Video) which I would have to repurchase if I switched.

Having said that, I'd be delighted to support any company that did buy out Vegas if they were to develop/rebuild it (or even Sony if they decide to proceed) and would happily donate to a kickstarter campain if that's what it takes.

But ... I'm also trying to do more and more outside Vegas so I will find switching to another NLE easier if I'm forced to.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

I use Vegas Pro 13 on a regular basis along with Sound Forge and also have Vegas Studio 13. My NLE track record is awful with an uncanny knack to back losers. Started with EditDV which morphed into Cinestream and vanished so on to FCP with V2 and steady to v7 when X appeared with some essentials missing, I tried Avid Media Composer which I could never get on with, bought Media 100 struggled to get it to run without success so to Vegas Pro having occasionally used Vegas Studio on the office PC so comfortable until now. I will continue to use Pro 13 until, as Tim says, it cannot handle what ever new CoDecs and incompatible OS appear ( I all ready have a problem as it will not handle the 50 mbps 4.2.2. files from my JVC 170). Where to from here? I do not want to use a subscription cloud based program so Premiere is out and with the possibility of Edius going into the cloud I will avoid that. What news of Hit Film? Tim; do you use it as an editing program as well as a compositor. Your views and experience would be very helpful.
Thanks
ned c
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Tim for your informative input. The last I heard about Vegas is that a Poster has been notified by Sony that Vegas 14 will be available after a few problems have been sorted out. So I guess we will all have to wait and see. Myself I have been perfectly happy with Vegas movie studio and Adobe CS5. There is or was an NLE called magix. There was a demonstration of this at my local club and we were all given a free disc of this programme. It had very up to date features very much like Vegas. However the after service was not very good. Sometimes my friends informed me that requests for help was often ignored.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Several of my colleagues use Power Director and swear by it. However, I know nothing about it all all so can't give any advice.
Pete.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy1 wrote:The last I heard about Vegas is that a Poster has been notified by Sony that Vegas 14 will be available after a few problems have been sorted out.
So there is some hope left then. Thanks, Roy.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

As you well know I posted some of the publicity shots for the New Vegas 14 release which got released to the dealers. Dealers also received pricing information for Vegas 14. From what I understand dealers were told to hold off just days before the release which I was informed was supposed to be April 5th from memory. In other words I still believe Vegas 14 will happen.

Re the unexpected delays. I am hearing similar stories and that the sudden holdup might have something to do with the QuickTime issue and having to go back into coding to enable support of .MOV files without having to rely on Apple's 32-bit QuickTime support. If that's the case I am more than happy to wait. Time will tell I guess!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

TIM. This was the latest news I had about Sony VEGAS
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi All. For those interested in the Vegas saga, the latest news may be good for people using Vegas pro and movie studio. It would appear that since yesterday MAGIX has bought from Sony all the former NLE's. Magix is advertising for programme developers in the USA. So it would appear that VEGAS WILL continue to develop.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks Roy
That's interesting as I believe Magix is a German company. I think they approached various IAC members a few years back to get people to test their NLE. I did look at their music software once, but the restrictions on usage of music produced seemed rather draconian.
Off to scour the Vegas forums now ....
Tim
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Just spotted this on the Videomaker pages, thought it might be of interest to other Vegas/MS users out there :-)

Magix Acquires Sony's Vegas Pro etc

All the best - John