Filming stage show (LED lighting problems)

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John Morgan

Filming stage show (LED lighting problems)

Post by John Morgan »

Having filmed a good many stage shows I have now experienced a new problem. When LED lighting is used in addition to/or in place of the usual lanterns my Sony Z5 hunts for focus when I zoom in for a tight shot even though the focus has been set to manual. I have never experienced this before, it only occurs when LED lighting is used. Would deploying the ND filter help or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Any advice would be welcome.
John Roberts

Re: Filming stage show (LED lighting problems)

Post by John Roberts »

Hi John,

Just a guess but you could try adjusting your shutter speed slower if possible. LED lights flicker although their refresh rate is usually set high enough so that the human eye can't detect the flickering, typically about 3kHz. However, camera circuitry can detect the high speed flickering so it could be this that's upsetting matters. So yes, an ND filter might help if it causes the camera to select a slower shutter speed to compensate for the reduced brightness.

I've not come across any issues with focusing though, especially manual focus - and I have no explanation why your camera should start 'hunting' for focus if the whole point of manual focus is to override the camera. But, I am totally unfamiliar with the Sony Z5 as I use a Panasonic GH-3 system. Perhaps someone with more experience of smartphones could help you?

Good luck - John
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Roberts wrote:Perhaps someone with more experience of smartphones could help you?
John, I think you've inadvertently insulted Mr Morgan! He's not talking about an Xperia Z5, but a full blown professional HDV camera!
Drat these silly model names!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Whoops :roll: My apologies to Mr Morgan!

I'd like to personally shift the blame to Uncle Google - if I'm unfamiliar with a model name/number I Google it, and that's what 'Sony Z5' came back with! Seeing as the premium Xperia Z5 is a 4K capable smartphone, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, I say in my poor defense :lol:
John Morgan

Post by John Morgan »

No apologies needed! Thanks John for trying to help.

John