Vegas movie studio HD 10-problem

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Vegas movie studio HD 10-problem

Post by Roy1 »

I am returning to this Vegas editing and it's a long long time since I have used it. I have managed to remember most of the way to edit but I have come across an annoying problem. When I start a new project and import video clips to the time line. The image and the audio appear okay but the problem is that they don't move along the timeline together, only one track moves. I can move them individually but not together. I am sure that somebody out there can help me. I will be grateful if they will. I am presuming, rightly or wrong, that a setting is wrong somewhere. I have two tutorials from Bob Myers (USA) and the zen tutorials but none of these tell me what to do.
John Roberts

Re: Vegas movie studio HD 10-problem

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy, I am using version 12, but I think the solution is the same from what I remember. I have no explanation why your MS10 should not treat the imported audio and video as the same group, but here is how to group any two or more files together.

1. Left-Click once on the first clip you want to add to a group, to select/highlight it (say, your video clip)
2. Press and HOLD the ctrl (control) key on your keyboard
3. Left-Click once on the the next clip you want to add to the same group, to select/highlight it as well (say, your audio file). You can select as many audio or video clips as you require.
4. Release the ctrl key when you have selected all the clips you want to add to the group. The required clips should remain highlighted
5. Ensure your mouse pointer is hovering above one of the clips you have highlighted and Right-Click once
6. In the menu that appears, go to Group, then Create New and Left-Click this option.

This action groups together the clips you have previously selected, so that they can be moved along or deleted from the timeline as a group. You can add any number of clips to a group.

Conversely, to remove any clip from a group so that it can be deleted or moved separately, simply Right-Click to highlight it, then on the menu that appears go to Group and Left-Click the 'Remove From' option.

Hope this helps :)
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks John once again for your help. I have followed your very clear instructions and it works OK. If I cannot find the reason why the video and audio does not move together, I will certainly use your solution. In the meantime I am going through all the settings and preferences to see If I can cure the problem. My main problem is that I can't understand the language that the different editing programmes use. To me they don't make sense, What I call a Shot or a clip, Vegas calls it an event. That's just one of many weird names they use. I suppose I will get use to it. These programmers must know their terms are not universally understood or they wouldn't publish a glossary to explain what they mean.
ned c

Post by ned c »

https://www.moviestudiozen.com/

A useful free reference for Vegas Studio & Pro tips.

ned c
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Ned for your suggestion. I already have studied the contents and tutorials on the Zen website and can't find the answer to my problem.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy1 wrote:My main problem is that I can't understand the language that the different editing programmes use. To me they don't make sense, What I call a Shot or a clip, Vegas calls it an event. That's just one of many weird names they use
Vegas naming in this instance actually makes perfect sense and if you use the correct terminology when talking to other Vegas users it aids clarity:

An "Event" is any "thing" on the timeline. It may be a video clip, an audio clip, a still image or generated media (like a title).
This already saves a lot of explanation - for example we can now say "To add an effect to an event ..." as opposed to "To add an effect to an audio clip, video clip, a still image or generated media ..."

But that's not all. Say you have a 10 second video clip. Drop it on your timeline.
You now have a 10 second video clip on your timeline, why call it an event?

Trim it to 6 seconds. What do you have on your timeline? A 6 second clip? No! Your video clip is still 10 second long, you can prove that by draging it again to your timeline. Your video clip cannot be both 10seconds and 6 seconds. And it is illogical that it exists in two places.

Vegas terminology distinguishes between the video or audio clip (which Vegas terms media) and the event on the timeline which is derived from the media and this is totally logical.

Continuing our example, apply an effect, say add a blue hue, using colour correction to the 6 second event. The 10 second event doesn't change - because it is not the same "clip" it is just derived from the same clip. Add a red hue to the 10 second event. We now have two events that are different hues but the original clip (media) is not affected - you can prove this by dragging another copy to the timeline, making a third event.

Remove your colour corrections. Now right click on of the events and select "Add Media FX". This time the effect is added to the media. Add a green hue and ALL three events will turn green. Drag another copy onto the timeline and you will see that is green as well, because you have applied the effect to the media from which the events are derived.

Vegas is wonderfully structured in this way. You can add effects to events, tracks (affects all events on a track), media and the final "mix".

Now your original problem:

You may not be referrng to a single "video/audio" event moving together (which John has already answered thoroughly), but to all the events not moving together - ie when you move events left or right, you want all events to the right of those to move as well. This is called "Auto Ripple" and you can toggle it on and off using a button (sorry not sure where it is in v10) or by using the Ctrl+L combination (hold down the Ctrl key and press "L")

If you do this a couple of times you should see the Auto Ripple button turn on and off.

Another option than many prefer is "post edit ripple". Make your edit the press"F".

Any queries, don't hesitate to post back.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Tim. I knew you would make a valuable contribution and it is much appreciated. However as I said to John, I have now gone through all the settings and preferences and I have solved my problem. When I came to the "lock envelopes to Events" under "options" I clicked it (although I don't know what it means) I found that the problem is solved and the Video and audio both move together on the time line from any position I place the cursor. Thanks again to everyone who has helped me.