Route Generator

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Route Generator

Post by Roy1 »

Has anybody used Route Generator. If they have, would they please tell me how to generate the end result into a movie format. I have made an AVI file of the end result from the route generator but Vegas Movie studio although placing it on the timeline, will not play it. If I move the cursor across the image on the timeline it shows that content is there . But when trying to play it nothing happens. The file is of a plane travelling from UK to Spain. I wonder if the problem is caused by the Route Generator being for Windows 7 32 bit and I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Any advice welcome.
TimStannard

Re: Route Generator

Post by TimStannard »

If I get time this week and you don't get any other replies I'll take a look.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Roy, what follows is an assumption! :D

If you mean by 'will not play it' that MS won't play back the file in the preview window when you are editing, it could be because the AVI is uncompressed and/or has a very large file size. Previewing is also very dependent on your preview settings, the speed of your PC, how many tracks and effects you have plugged in etc, which is why it can sometimes take 6 hours to render a 6 minute film. One can't expect the preview window to process large files in real time. My preview setting varies between the extremes; between 'draft - low quality' if I want to check timing and effects etc when playing back almost complete edits and 'Full - Best quality' if I am fine-tuning greenscreen work.

The fact that you can import the file onto the timeline and MS does show the content in the preview window suggests that the file is OK to use, but probably too large to process 'on the fly.' I would be tempted just to render a small section of your film that encompasses the AVI file, to an mp4 file or whatever your preferred video output file is, to double check that MS is dealing with it OK. You might find that render times suddenly increase when the rendering process gets to the AVI file. If the subsequent mp4 (or whatever) plays back the route generator AVI file OK, then you know all will be well when you come to render your finished edit.

If you need to edit the route generator clip on the timeline (add effects, trim it etc) then I would suggest lowering your preview quality so that you can see where your edits need to be. You can always increase the preview quality when you have reached the point you want to edit, to show a higher quality image.

Tip: Under the preview window (on my MS12) you have some information: Project, Preview, Frame and Display. The 'Frame' information displays the project frame number being shown in the preview window, but is sometimes followed by a lengthening row of 'period/full stop' marks (......) whilst MS is processing the rendered image for the preview window. Until the period marks disappear, the preview is not complete. If you have a large file or effects that require heavy processing, there can be a LOT of period marks appearing after the frame number. This means MS is still working on the preview.

Hope this helps :-)
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

John and Tim. I am very happy to say that after burning the midnight oil, I have sussed out the problem and now have the image size and duration I want and Vegas Movie studio 10 is playing it perfectly. I must rush now and write down what I've done before I forget it. Thanks to both of you for your generous help.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Glad you have managed to sort out the problem, Roy :D

If you have a few minutes to spare at some point, perhaps you could post your solution on here in case anyone else has a similar issue. Good luck!

John
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Ditto John (and good post, John)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it