strange but welcome BD-RE

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

strange but welcome BD-RE

Post by Roy1 »

HI. A few years ago when I changed over to making HD videos I used Verbatin BD-re discs (quite expensive). This was so I could check that the finished video was ok. I find that sometimes the result seen on PC is not always the same as seen on a TV via a recorder (especially the sound). However these disc were very good and reliable so about a year ago I bought a pack of 5 of the same verbatim disc. None of these worked although IMGburn said the disc had been successfully burnt. Every time they were played back a disc error came up on the screen, this was on several Blu-ray recorders. After days of rewriting the discs with no success,I gave up. I don't know why but yesterday I tried the use these discs again and to my amazement, they, after a years of non-use storage, have worked perfectly. Can anybody venture a reason for this strange but welcome turnabout because I can't.
tom hardwick

Re: strange but welcome BD-RE

Post by tom hardwick »

BD-RE? Did you mean BD-RW, rewritable BDs?
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Oh, I've just found this. Tom, you live and learn (hopefully).

BD-RE is the newer format of rewritable blue ray disk.
A BD-RE drive will write to either BD-RE or BD-RW.
BD-RW will only write to BD-RW.
What exactly happens when you try to play a Blu-Ray rewritable disc?
BD-RE is not recognized and you can’t format it.
Were you able to play BD disc before? if yes what changes were made to your computer recently?
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. Thanks for your interest. I have ever only used Verbatim BD-RE discs. All my BD drives on all my PC's are BD-RE models and are all LG makes. Also all my standalone Blu ray player units are also capable of playing BD-RE discs. That is what makes the present situation most baffling. Of course I am not complaining and am quite happy about it. I just wanted to possibly know what has made these discs suddenly recordable as they should be. The only difference to the editing PC is that I may of updated imgburn.