WANTED: working 7" two/four track multi-speed open reel tape deck

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John Roberts

WANTED: working 7" two/four track multi-speed open reel tape deck

Post by John Roberts »

Hi all, not sure if I'm allowed to post this on here or not, but I'm after an old style open reel tape deck, either valved or transistorized.

I used to have an old Philips AG-8108 deck, which I inherited from my grandfather, but it has long since bitten the dust. I used this to record various band rehearsals, but I also have a few taped recordings of my grandfather's orchestral concerts from the 1950's and 1960's. Obviously I would like to transfer these recordings to the computer for archiving.

I believe most of the recordings were made at 3 3/4" speed, although some I made were at 7.5" speed. I don't think offhand I have anything at 1 7/8" speed but I am not sure. Maximum reel diameter is 7"

Can anyone help me? A machine such as this might be the sort of thing languishing in IAC members lofts :D

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_ag8108.html

Please PM me if you think you can help. Many thanks in advance :)

John
Dave Watterson

Re: WANTED: working 7" two/four track multi-speed open reel tape deck

Post by Dave Watterson »

By all means ask here ... but also drop a line to webmaster@theiac.org.uk and ask Jan to list the request on the main website wanted adds ...
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I looked on eBay and found an Akai 4000D two towns away. Works perfectly, right price, sounds just the sort of machine you should be after.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Tom, thanks for the heads up about the Akai. Great machines, I used to have a pair of them many years ago, solid and reliable.

The search is now over however, as I have just picked up a stunning fully serviced and aligned Akai GX-630DB for the princely sum of £0.00... :shock: :lol: It turned out a good friend had it languishing in his attic and all I had to do was pop round and pick it up, which, seeing as he lives on an adjacent street was no great hardship. Thanks for looking out for me though :D

All the best - John

PS: Sorry I missed you (again) at BIAFF!