Emails.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Emails.

Post by Roy1 »

HI. I hope this is a suitable topic for this forum. I have tried all the usual help lines and can't follow their advice. The trouble is that I am using Talktalk and my email service has gone to pot, that's when I can log onto the webmail. I have decided to use Google Gmail instead. My problem is that I would like to transfer all the folders from TalkTalk email programme to the Gmail labels. Is anybody able to tell me how to do this with a step by step instruction. Thanks in advance for any help. It wouldn't matter to me if only a few folders were involved but it's hundreds.
Dave Watterson

Re: Emails.

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Roy,
I hope someone else can bring practical experience to this matter. Getting the emails from one system to another is easy, but not the folders.
Take a look at https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how ... _my_email/ which explains that getting to your email via IMAP may allow you to copy folders ... but that gmail does not support folders as such! You can use gmail's "labels" to achieve the same effect.

One help might be to use an email program on your computer. I use Windows Live Mail and have used others like Thunderbird. They support folders and copying your messages using IMAP into such a program should work. If you need to look at your email when you are away from your main machine, however, you will still be looking at the web mail service ...
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi. Dave. Thanks for your interest. In actual fact after a lot of experiment I have found a way of transferring the folders from TalkTalk email programme to Gmail labels. Unfortunately Talktalk is taking up to four hours to send and receive emails so it's going to be a long haul. Probally by the time I finish Talktalk will be back to normal
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Having been forcibly transferred from Virgin to TalkTalk I know the feeling !