Useful transcoder

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Useful transcoder

Post by ned c »

In earlier posts I asked for help with HD 4.2.2. 50 mbps files generated on my JVC GY HM170 camera which will not load into Vegas Pro 12 or 13. This is still an issue. However; I have found a free utility that converts these files into a version that Vegas recognizes with no apparent loss of quality. The utility is Handbrake - type into Google and download. Instructions are very sketchy but even I succeeded in making it work.

ned c
TimStannard

Re: Useful transcoder

Post by TimStannard »

Well done for sorting that out, Ned. Handbrake seems to be very popular among users on the Vegas forum. FWIW I've had no problem importing 4:2:2 50 mbps footage from my Canon XF100 (MPEG-2 in an mxf wrapper). In fact I only ever have problems with xvid & derivatives and as that is very much a delivery format rather than an editing or capture format I can't say I'm bothered.
It seems, again according to the Vegas forum, that version 13 is likely to be the last version of Vegas which is a great shame. Potentially Catalyst Edit will replace it, but that's got a very long way to go before it's a serious NLE for anything more than basic cuts.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

My heart sinks into my boots; not another change of direction. Is there any NLE that is not going into the cloud or being completely re-written. I have a feeling that marketing departments make all the decisions these days. Anyone using HitFilm as a stand alone editor? How about Edius? The problem is that new/modified CoDecs appear that demand new code. Wasn't film wonderful!!! (Not really,)

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I should stress this is speculation but the only official response from Sony Creative Software is that they will continue to support Vegas. Though this is clearly not the same a "develop". The suggestion is that the code base is written around Video for Windows and it has never had a re-write from scratch (in the same period Premiere has had at least two). Maybe Catalyst Edit IS that rewrite and maybe it will develop into something like Vegas. It certainly feels slick at what it does (I've had a very brief play). One of the nice things about Vegas is the compositing available, but now I use HitFilm in my workflow this is less essential to me. Still, working mainly in HD (And I've done 4K as well in Vegas), I guess Vegas Pro 13 will continue to be more than enough for me for a while - at least until the future is clearer.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it