edius 8 help

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

edius 8 help

Post by ned c »

I have an odd problem, a new JVC camera produces very high quality HD files at 50 Mbps and 4;2;2 color space these are .mov files which is the wrapper; inside an .mpeg4 file. Sony Vegas 12 will not open these files and they crash the system, discussion on the Sony Vegas forum has not found a solution. After contact with JVC they tell me that Edius 8 will open these files and edit them natively. However; since they have got a number of things wrong I wonder if someone with Edius 8 will try a small file which I can forward to make sure they are right. It is many years since i owned a JVC camera and that experience ended my relationship with them, looks like JVC part 2!

thanks

ned c
ned c

Re: edius 8 help

Post by ned c »

I have resolved my problem and it may be of interest. I have just purchased a 4K camera; the JVC GY HM 170. I tested it in HD 1920x1080 mode using the .mov file recording which deliver 30Mbps in 4.2.2 color space. These are not recognised by Sony Vegas Pro 12 and when attempted to play crashed the system. Correspondence with JVC and the Sony Forum confirmed the incompatibility. So; I then tested the camera recording 4K as .mov files; these load into Vegas Pro 12 and play in the normal way! So; I have decided that rather than change my edit software I will use this camera in the 4K mode and down res if necessary. It does record AVCHD in 1920x1080 so I do have an HD version but wanted the higher bit rate and color space of the .mov files. Analysis of the HD .mov files show that in the .mov wrapper is .mpeg4 so mystified as to why they won't open. I have to upgrade to Vegas Pro 13 to ensure complete rendering in UHD but don't have to learn a new system.

Hope you are not too bored!!

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Ned, The Sony forum suggested you upload a small sample. If you are able o do that (via Dropbox or similar), I'd be happy to play with it (Vegas 13 here) although it sounds like you're already decided on going to 4K.

These incompatibilities are infuriating. 4.2.2 footage shot on my Canon XF100 at 50Mbps as mpeg2 in an mxf wrapper plays and edits natively in Vegas quite happily. Out of interest, have you tried renaming one of your mov files mxf. You never know ...
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Tim but we are just about to leave for the UK so will hold off for a while.

ned c