MPEG4 playing on Apple

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

MPEG4 playing on Apple

Post by Peter Stedman »

I had a DVD sent to me with several MPEG4 video clips that I could easily play on my PC. However, on taking this disc to a friend with a fairly new Apply desktop, he was unable to play them. I know nothing about these machines and he knows even less. Is there something he should know to be able to play these files? Does he perhaps have to install another prog. on his machine? Answers welcome.

Pete.
Michael Slowe

Re: MPEG4 playing on Apple

Post by Michael Slowe »

Pete, I use the application Compressor to convert files of this type. There should be a pre set designated QT .mov which an Apple will play with Quick Time Player, which almost certainly will be installed on that computer.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for that reply Michael. This pre set 'designated QT.mov' you mention? Is this a prog to enable MPEG4 to play on his Quick Time Player? Are you are saying that for Quick Time to play these files they have to be converted to .mov?

Thanks again for replying. Pete.
ned c

Post by ned c »

A useful program is VLC Media Player which is available for the Mac and plays most files. It is free at www.videolan.org

ned c

ps thanks to the Ed as I now have a well sized version of the forum.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Ned. I do have this prog on my own machine but I will tell my friend about it. Thanks again. Pete
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Peter, I was thinking that you needed to convert your MPEG 4 files for importing into an edit system for incorporating into a production, not just for viewing. I'm currently editing a film that has to contain some archive material that's available to me on all sorts of odd formats and codecs, bit of a nightmare. Converting into a QT .mov for importing is necessary.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks again Michael. I have passed the gen on to my friend to follow up in due course. Thanks again. Pete.