Video file query

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Video file query

Post by Peter Stedman »

I need some expert advice as this is above me. A colleague tells me that he has a couple of original HD video camera files from which he has been trying to create a short promo video. He has been running into so many problems, mainly of his own creation I would add. Yesterday I suggested that he let me know the properties of these files or even send them to me to see how I get on. This is what he tells me.

First file: My original here Is a MOV file of 31 GB!
Second file: My original here is a MOV file of 3.48 Gb

These were from two different makes of cameras I will mention.

Now to me it seems that he hasn’t got copies of the camera HD originals but that what he has received is an export from someone’s timeline as MOV files. He is using the editing prog AVS which till now I had never heard of.

Can you advise if I'm right in my assumptions and any other words of wisdom that I might be able to understand.

Thanks a lot. Pete.
col lamb

Re: Video file query

Post by col lamb »

Peter

A Mov file is a container for a MP4 file, unfortunately Apple in their wisdom, amend the specifications of all their file formats with the resultant effect that there are a myrriad of file permutations. To manage these permutations requires a good editing software system with the right codecs, ideally an Apple Mac. Now if these Movs have been produced on a PC, good luck, bow out gracefully.

AVS is a cheap editing programme, need I say more. He has what he has paid for.

The 31 GB is huge and I mean huge, it will take a monster programme to handle a file that big. Even on your system you will struggle to manage the file.

I suggest that your friend obtains the original files, if they are not available that he bows out.

There are too many ifs and buts for anyone to give definitive guidance.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Col, I will pass on your advice. Pete.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I don't know the edit program but download Quicktime for Windows from the Apple site; it is free. This should make it possible to open most .mov files in Windows based systems.

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

At that size it might be a ProRes or a DNxHD file in a MOV wrapper.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it