Screens

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
TimStannard

Screens

Post by TimStannard »

We need a new screen. Approx 3m wide 16x9. Electric, infrared. To be mounted on a wall in such a way that it stands proud of the wall by 18" to avoid other things attached to the wall. We have existing brackets which should be re-fixed if used.

Any pointers anyone?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Re: Screens

Post by Roy1 »

I Bought such a screen from Ebay and it works brilliantly. Log in to Ebay with electric projector screens. Happy new year
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks Roy,
I'm not sure I'd be the most popular person at Staines Video Makers if I spend our available income on a screen from eBay without having been able to see one in situ first! Where are you? Perhaps I could come and have a look.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TimStannard wrote:Thanks Roy,
I'm not sure I'd be the most popular person at Staines Video Makers if I spend our available income on a screen from eBay without having been able to see one in situ first! Where are you? Perhaps I could come and have a look.
TIM. I am in DURHAM so I don't expect you to visit me, but you will be very welcome if you decide to. I should tell you that the screen I bought was brand new from a reputable firm. I will look through my records to see if I still have the name of the company. Why don't you look into ebay and see if anyone is selling who are based near you and then you can go and inspect the goods before buying.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy1 wrote:Why don't you look into ebay and see if anyone is selling who are based near you and then you can go and inspect the goods before buying.
That's sort of why I posed the question. I don't really know what I'm looking for. I understand there are different sorts of coatings and we need to ensure it'll hang true and not crease over time. I'm really after experiences of people with different manufacturers/models.

Also, whilst the club may be amateur, installing screens is not part of our hobby (as far as I'm concerned). I am looking for a firm to supply and install. Exactly as I would buying for any other business. I want one point of contact responsible for the whole job, not to buy the screen from here, the mountings from there, and separate electrical and "odd job" installers. Whilst it will be owned by us, it is going into a typical village hall and so has to be done professionally. (I appreciate that this still might not happen, but at least I can start on that premise)
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I understand your dilemma. I have been installing screens for many years mainly for my small chain of 16mm cinemas some years ago as well as in the houses I have lived in. The type of coating you require for your screen depends on the shape of the room you are using. The one I bought from ebay is Glass beaded because the room is long and narrow. It sits in a black box mounted to the ceiling and on the press of a button comes down in front of the fire place and wall ornaments. The amount of drop down is governed by pressing the button to stop where you want it. Good luck.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

For a multi-purpose hall I suggest you do not use a beaded screen - they can easily be damaged by careless handling. In fact I would avoid any special finish, just get the best price. Oddly enough cinema buffs often prefer a grey screen ... but again that does not go too well for a general purpose screen.

I recommend you contact enquiries@circle-eight.org.uk - the group has plenty of expertise and connections with the film appreciation groups too, so perhaps has more knowledge of electric screens than most movie-making clubs. They are giving a show on the Thursday of BIAFF !
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks for the suggestion of Circle Eight, Dave. I will certainly contact them.
I may have misled when I mentioned the screen would be in a village hall open to the public. This is true, but only we will have access to the screen (and other users with our agreement - this has happened about 3 times in the 7 years in which i've been a member). It will remain rolled up and inaccessible other than when we are in there. My reason for mentioning the hall was we cannot affor any possibility of electrocution by uncertified wiring or the thing dropping on someone (as our current screen did onto me a few weeks back, which is what started this whole searching business.

It's our liability we want to minimise, not the risk of damage by the local yokels :) (Whcih we believe we ave covered)
Last edited by TimStannard on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. I have used glass beaded electric controlled screens for years and have never had one suffer damage. Of course if they are mistreated they will damage and so will any other type of screen. I have also used matt white screens which are satisfactory but in the shape of hall I have,glass beaded give a brighter picture. I often wonder why people on this forum take no heed of other people who have had years of experience?