4K cameras

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

Re: 4K cameras

Post by col lamb »

Is the x70 not listed as 4k ready?

I seem to remember seeing that the 4k is only via a paid upgrade so this is something I suggest you check out.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Willy

Post by Willy »

Yes, Colin. Next year the camera can be upgraded to 4K. In our national magazine for filmclubs I could read that buyng a 4K camera now is a bit too early because you also need a 4K beamer, a 4K TV-set, a powerful editing machine etc... Casablanca is too weak for 4K at the moment, but an upgrade will be possible in some months, my Casablanca dealer told me.

However I think that I am going to buy the sony PXW-X70 because it seems that the image quality is also perfect in HD. It is a lightweight camera and it is very compact. I intend to make a film about some famous London Streets next year. Buying a little. camera that you can even hold in one hand is the best option. Indeed, just like Michael I am a filmmaker who wants to move while filming.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

I have my new tiny camera. My sony PXW-X70.

My first impressions: it has a super solid feel all around. As you remember I found my sony NX5 too heavy. This one has a big sensor. That's great. The quality of even the AVCHD-image is stunning. I filmed Vera when she was sitting on our sofa. She looked all right. The images were sharp. She bloomed a bit. The right colour.

I can also record in the new XAVC format, but I think it is too early to use it. I fear that my Casablanca is too weak. For this I must also have the 64 GB SDXC flash memory card. There will be a 4K firmware upgrade sometime next year. I am not looking forward to it. AVCHD is ok. More important: it is also very good in low light.

I lived without a camera for more than a week as I had sold my heavy machine. I didnt feel comfortable. Now I can let myself go again.
Willy Van der Linden
Willy

Post by Willy »

My trip to London was fantastic. We had a wonderful time. Last Sunday it was raining cats and dogs all the time. Good that I didn't have my new PX-X70 with me. So we visited the National Gallery. I took a picture of my wife in front of Van Gogh's "Sunflowers".

Monday was different. A blue sky from sunrise to sunset. Excellent for filming. Walking in St. James's Park was very pleasant. The pelicans were near us. At that moment I missed my new camera. I could have taken wonderful close ups. Also the squirrels were very near. A man was standing on the bridge over the pond. He was throwing breadcrumbs. Seagulls tried to pick them up in the air. I enjoyed that scene very much.

Also our walk from Trafalgar Square to the Horse Guards. We were there at exactly 11 am. Time to see the Changing of the Guards. A colourful show. In front of 10 Downing Street there is "The Red Lion". Charles Dickens and Sir Winston Churchill used to have a drink there. From Parliament Square
we had a fine view on Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. In the afternoon we visited Harrods. Do not jeer at me! I didn't buy anything! I thought of buying a bow tie for BIAFF 2015 but I didn't have enough money with me.

In the evening I missed my camera again. Our trip from Bayswater to Piccadilly Circus in a London bus was fairy-like. The Christmas decorations in London are unique in the world. The illuminations were extraordinary. Thousands and thousands and thousands of lights covered the façades of Selfridges, Debenhams and other department stores. I don't think that the UK is in recession. In Belgium the goverment asked us to use candlelights instead of bulbs.

Anyway this short trip offered me quite a lot of ideas to make a short and attractive film. There was only one problem. My backache! But yes, my pedometer said 15,358 steps on Monday only. It's my own fault. That's why we also had to take a taxi from time to time. But this also had its charm. Now I'm taking some rest. Next time I will forget to take my beloved camera with me. That's for sure!
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

No matter how technically refined your camera, or how little it weighs ... there are times, even for us movie makers, when it is better just to take pictures with our eyes and store them at enormous resolution in our memories. What the smart-phone snappers do not fully appreciate is that to make a good movie means devoting a large part of your holiday to the filming.

Willy and Vera deserved a holiday after a very tough year. Come back and make films another time!
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Great that you enjoyed yourself in the smoke (London).

Get an Iphone 6 then you have a pretty good camera and camcorder with you all the time
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb