Dropbox querie

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Dropbox querie

Post by Peter Stedman »

Occasionally I use Drop Box to send a file but for some reason when I have tried sending a video clip the recipient reports failure. It’s straight forward enough to upload etc. and then copy the public link and forward it on. The ones I have tried have been exported from my CS5 timeline as H264 and show in Dropbox as MP4 files, so I am wondering if I am uploading the incorrect file type? Any advice on this please. Pete.
Dave Watterson

Re: Dropbox querie

Post by Dave Watterson »

Without meaning to be impolite ... are you sure the recipient can play such files? Has s/he tried playing any mp4 files?
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Dave,
No you're not being impolite and I suppose I should have checked the obvious. I will check, but what is the best 'universal' format to send that most should be able to play (AVI) ? Thanks.
Pete.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Peter

The best format is mp4, goodness even a MAC user will be able to play it.

If they are viewing on a PC then VLC is the best player, it is a free download.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Col,
Always something new to learn. The answer of course is to ensure that anyone I want to send a video file to has the necessary programme to play it. Yes, I have VLC on my machine.

This morning I exported from my time-line a short clip as an AVI but it's large of course. I just managed to put it into my Dropbox but it took forever to upload even though I have a fast internet connection. However that filled it entirely.

From there after making some enquiries, I have installed 'Copy' that has given me 15gig of space. I haven't tried it yet. Do any of you have any experience of this?

Thanks again. Pete.